I think I might have lost a tie, but I'm not sure

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cheggers

I think I might have lost a tie, but I'm not sure

#1 Post by cheggers »

I'm 18 months or so into treatment and nearly finished with the braces. Yesterday the orthodontist's assistant did several things: replaced the two central upper brackets (ceramics); removed the upper and lower wires to clip them shorter and then put them back in, anchoring them no longer on the molars but further forward; made hooks on the wires in new positions to accommodate a new arrangement of elastics (a more central position now than for the past year, with much tighter elastics to the bite into alignment). The doctor checked what she did and removed the bands from my molars.

Anyway, when I was brushing my teeth in the evening (with a manual toothbrush, not my normal electric one), at one point I noticed a small loop of some kind of wire or thread that had apparently come loose from somewhere in the centre of my upper appliance. I pulled it and the wire/thread came right out. I'm not sure what it is. It's about an inch or so long, appears to be white or clear in colour, probably made of some kind of nylon-type plastic, and is straight but with a kink in the middle that makes it into a v-shape. It seems to have the same kind of colour, diameter and flexibility as a toothbrush bristle, but is about twice the length of the toothbrush bristles, so I'm guessing it can't be that (unless the bristles are doubled up in the toothbrush?)

I'm wondering if this is some kind of tie that has come off, but I can't tell as I don't know what to look for. Everything looks OK to my unskilled eye and the wire doesn't seem to be moving anywhere. Can you tell me what this is or might be? Should I make an appointment to get it looked at?

Thanks for any advice!