Worried!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cissa

Worried!

#1 Post by Cissa »

I'm set to get my braces off next Tuesday, but there's a small gap that just formed yesterday between my two front teeth! Has anyone had this experience? It's a tiny little gap but a gap none the less! ACK!

Will it go away with retainers?

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

I have heard of retainers closing gaps. If I were you I would put my fears to rest and call the ortho!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

sjsarre

#3 Post by sjsarre »

I like gaps in the front teeth.. I've told my ortho that when he closes everything up I want to keep a little gap.. Not sure if he will listen to me or not..

But as Karen suggests you are so close to being debraced, its best to speak to the Ortho's office beforehand, otherwise that gap will continue to annoy you.. :)

Smiley77

#4 Post by Smiley77 »

I like gaps in front teeth too! I don't think I would go so far as to have one left in, but I like the look of them for sure! :)

Sorry, off topic lol. I would definitely bring it up with the ortho. Who knows, it may even close up before naked day anyway!

GL!
7 extractions 19 July 2006

8 spacers put in 7th August

I can't wait for that perfect smile

Cissa

#5 Post by Cissa »

Yuck, the receptionist said the doctor would have to look at it, and as he's only in on Tuesdays I have to wait for my appointment. :(

Caroline

#6 Post by Caroline »

I had a small gap between my upper right central and lateral. The gap closed within 4 days with my Hawley, and it hasn't budged since.
Ceramics
Top braced January 7, 2005
Bottom braced February 4, 2005
Tops off July 10, 2006!!!
Bottoms off August 15, 2006!!!

JaneBy

#7 Post by JaneBy »

I've been reassured (more than once) by my ortho that any small gaps can be closed with a retainer.

I had a new small gap at the last check, but since we are still tweaking the bite with elastics, he put a powerchain on until the next adjustment. The gap was gone in less than two days.
Braced at 41, Damon 2s - top and bottom, 8/10/04, estimated 18-24 months...did overtime! Debraced 10/4/06. Essix retainers.

Flora2006

#8 Post by Flora2006 »

Don't worry too much. Even if the only time you can see your ortho is at your appointment....I'm sure he won't take the braces off if you really want that gap closed.

Good luck!

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

lildave

#9 Post by lildave »

Hello! I got my braces of about a month ago...and I had the SAME problem. I started to worry about getting them off to soon. The gap has actually started closing on its own and it's not even noticable even in pictures. I've always been a huge teeth person and even I can't tell in pictures. No one else can see it either; I just have a perfection when it comes to teeth!

If you want them off then power to you! I asked my ortho just right before we took them off if there was any possible way to close that gap. He said no, some people's teeth are just oddly shaped, me included! Hope I helped!!