Take a look at my underbite (Pic)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

john_paul

Take a look at my underbite (Pic)

#1 Post by john_paul »

Hi

here's my underbite

i don't think i have a severe underbite case, but i wanna ask if its possible to move the lower teeths back using braces.. im not talking about tilting the teethts in a way that they would be in the back of the upper ones. i really dont want surgery, so i hope the braces will do the trick.

i will be seeing a ortho in a few days.. but i just wanna see your opinions.

Bye all! :)

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I'm not an ortho, but I did start out with an underbite, amongst other things. Mine was not dissimilar to yours, but was complicated by a lateral open bite.

I was given two options: braces, or braces and surgery. I chose to go with braces alone.

My ortho has achieved some expansion of my upper arch and has reduced the prominence of my lower arch (I had plenty of room downstairs, with some additional spaces) so that my upper teeth now fit nicely on the outside of my bottom teeth. I'm not big on posting pics, but you can take my word for it. Also, that I am very happy with the progress so far.

Best is to see what the ortho says at your consult. And if you're not happy, get another opinion.

rsprouse

#3 Post by rsprouse »

Yes it is possible to move the mandible distally to correct a class III bite. But there are a lot of details that determine if a surgical route is the way to go. There is no way to tell for sure from that one picture. But the simple answer is it may be possible in your case.

Regards,
Rory

CLAmom

#4 Post by CLAmom »

I always thought that I would need surgery to correct mine and that's why I put off doing anything about for years and years. It was all about the fear. I have to say that after 7 months in braces I'm ready to say that I have a near normal bite. Prior to braces my upper front teeth came straight down on top of the lowers so I really didn't have much of a bite at all. Now my uppers cover the lowers about 1/2 way (I bite pretty hard on those lower brackets sometimes-ouch) and a couple of my molars touch in the back. A lot can be accomplished with braces but only your ortho will know for sure. Get 2-3 different opinions and pick the treatment that makes the most sense to you.

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"