post-operative extraction care question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tardissauce

post-operative extraction care question

#1 Post by tardissauce »

I just had my extractions done (4 pre-molars) - how many hours do i need to wait before i try and eat something liquid, like a soup or a vitamin shake?

SDFD TSchott

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I waited about 6 hours before I ate anything so I'm not sure!

SDFD TSchott
Code 4

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

juf_84

#3 Post by juf_84 »

I had my wisdoms out in hospital and an hour after waking up they were feeding me warm milo. I made a huge mess though... dribbling it down my chin- due to the local anaesthetic they'd given me :-)
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

lynnm

#4 Post by lynnm »

I see this thread is old, but this is one of my biggest concerns. Since I'm having general anesthetic, I'm supposed to fast from the night before. By the time I'm awake, it will have been more than 14 hours since I last ate.

I know I won't die, but previous experiences with fasting were really miserable. I was thinking about almost liquid foods, like yogurt, soup, and protein shakes ... but what about temperature? Do you think I'll be extra sensitive to hot and cold? Guess I could let things get to room temperature even though it's not the most appetizing. :wink:

juniperlee

#5 Post by juniperlee »

When I had my extractions my Oral Surgeon told me to eat whenever I was comfortable with doing so, but to stick to soft foods like soup or my personal fav mashed potatoes. I had to fast the night before as well and thought once it was over I would be starving too but once it was over I just wanted to sleep plus I was feeling a little sick from the anesthesia so I didn't eat for a few hours. But as long as you think you're up to it go for it.

I was also advised to heat whatever I was eating to a warm temperature not hot, so if you make soup just let it sit for a bit. I wasn't told anything about cold though and I ate ice cream after and was fine.

Danielle

#6 Post by Danielle »

Do you think I'll be extra sensitive to hot and cold?
When I had my premolars out initally they told me I could try to eat soup the same day... then I heard that I should stay away from hot foods because it causes blood flow... I waited about four hours (mostly until they had stopped bleeding for a while and the numbness was gone) and slowly drank some water... the next day I incorporated chocolate shakes (with a spoon) and reglar ice cream, then I slowly introduced Cream of Wheat and other soft foods.

When I had my laser "surgery" I had some water as soon as I got home, but I was told no hot foods or drinks... but to eat/drink as much cold as I wanted to. I'd have some ice cream on hand and wait until the bleeding has stopped completely for a while and then try to drink water before attempting to eat. Good luck.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present