moving teeth back into missing molar's spot

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

snaggletooth steve

moving teeth back into missing molar's spot

#1 Post by snaggletooth steve »

Just back from a very disappointing case presentation. My history is poor dental care (I'm 35) and severe crowding upper and lower. I was diagnosed as having a narrow upper jaw, lower jaw too far back, extreme overjet, upper molars too far forward, crossbite both upper molars, severe crowding up/low, midlines off and missing teeth #3, 14,18,19,30 and 31. All molars.. two I never had, and the other four were lost due to poor care.

After meeting with the ortho, I was told that I need four more extractions (the usual 4 they get for crowding). As this doesn't leave many teeth on the bottom, I'm asking for more opinions on this before even considering moving forward. Basically they said they cannot move the teeth back to fill in the spaces left by molars (I believe from lack of bone structure). Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks,

Steve

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

You are missing all those teeth and he wants to do extractions? :yikes:

Have you seen an oral surgeon about implants to replace the teeth?

Get more opinions.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

rsprouse

#3 Post by rsprouse »

Steve,

Yes you can use orthodontics to distally move a tooth or teeth. But it may not be the best solution for you. Also remember that there are a lot of other factors being considered other than simply closing a space. If you are skeptical of these treatment options then you should seek other opinions. You will probably get different treatment plans from each Ortho you see, but the end results will be similar.

Good Luck,
Rory

snaggletooth steve

#4 Post by snaggletooth steve »

Thanks for the response. I've decided it would be best to get a consult at two more local Orthodontist offices. If they both agree with the first ortho, I'll have the extractions and go with my current ortho. If either one offers to try and move these teeth without extractions, I'll go for a fourth consult. Basically I am biased towards keeping my teeth, but I want to hear at least two say it is possible. My existing ortho is considered the best in town (one of at least).

Seeing the many photos on this site, particularly of other 30+ year olds with crowding, I know for a fact they can move the bottom teeth where they need to go without extractions. The upper teeth I am less certain, although if there isn't enough room, it would be very close to fitting and I know teeth can be shaved down a bit.

One thing that has really motivated me to try some other opinions is that the original Ortho went from four extractions to three extractions after I resisted. They just don't seem too certain in my case.

Thanks again,

Steve

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi Steve

Apparently distalization of molars in adults is about the hardest thing to do, but speaking as somebody who is having just that done, there ARE ways.
One way is orthodontic mini-implants which is the route I am taking.

I'd definitely get more opinions before deciding to get even more teeth removed.