Interesting question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jimmy_101

Interesting question

#1 Post by Jimmy_101 »

Hi< i posted this question in the ortho surgery sub forum, but noone responded so hopefully a doc might be able to help me out.

Basically, im 25 years old male from the UK. I had orthodontic treatment when i was younger briefly, but did not wear my braces as much of the time as I should have (I was only about 12). I think my parents were useless because they didnt take me back or explain to me the consequences of not having correct orthodontic treatment to me as a child. Anyway, currently, I have moderate to severe crowding on my upper and lower teeth. I also have a cross bite and an underbite.

During my first period of orthodontic treatment I had a bicuspid removed, from my upper right side. Anyway, Ive noticed ever since i saw my profile in the mirror as a teen that the two sides of my face are different. On one side I have a pretty good profile which Im happy with. On the other side the profile is much flatter and my lips seem to droop over my mouth, plus the jawline is not as strong. in fact, I think I have the dreaded 'dished in' appearance some have referred to. This gives me a wonky appearance and upsets me because i feel ive been denied being an attractive guy by basically some kind of orthopaedic neglect. A friend commented to me the other day how when i talk one half of my mouth goes up and the other goes down!

My question for the docs is; can my jawline be fixed to where it would have been had I had good child ortho treatment? Is there a way to do this without surgery, such as damon braces, bearing in mind that my genius ortho extracted one of my teeth when i was 12 and left me with this profile.. ? What can you do for us 'caved in' people?

Im really determined to get a symmetrical jawline and would consider surgery, however obviously id rather not if i dont have to as having your face broken and rearranged doesnt sound like my idea of a birthday party lol

rsprouse

#2 Post by rsprouse »

Hi Jimmy,

There is no way to know for sure without an in person consultation, anything else is simply speculation. The beautiful (or not so beautiful) thing about medicine is there is usually somebody somewhere willing to try a different form of treatment. But based on your description I would venture to say that you will most likely need surgical procedure(s) in order to have a more aesthetic result that you are happy with. That doesn't mean that there isn't somebody out there that would try to correct unilateral discrepancies without surgery. But most will probably recommend surgery.

You can only shift the dentition so much with traditional orthodontia before you risk permanent damage to the patient. You should seek an in person consultation if you have any questions as that is the best way to gather clinical information.

Good Luck,
Rory