gap....can please someone give ones input?-thanks

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

caryca

gap....can please someone give ones input?-thanks

#1 Post by caryca »

Hello,

I am in the last months of treatment and…I have some problems. Beside of the fact that my doc is still on the maternity leave (see my story if you would like to read more). I will probably get off my braces by December and the current doc said that the gap that I still have after extraction (currently around 2mm) will stay. This seems to be wrong, as I know from others (stories and the usual talk) that all the gaps should be closed. According to the doc this will close later when I will my braces off. I am suppose to have bond retainer on bottoms, but only for 6 tooth, that means that the 4th tooth will be not connected and then there is the small gap, and the next tooth. Is it correct? I am really nor happy with the whole story of having other doc (initially only for 3 months now already 8th!). I badly want them off but I do not want to have the gap and then get them back!

Can some one write me if all the gaps were closed when your braces where off?
Thanks
6/4/2005: 2nd premolar extracted+ spacers in
6/13/2005: clear braces: top and bottom
next 'date' on 18th Nov. ...and the bottoms might be off then?!:-) top will stay until Dec. before xmas.

katy

#2 Post by katy »

Hi Caryca,

I'm at the same stage you are.. I had all four second pre-molars extracted to make room at the beginning of treatment (26 months ago) and I only have one gap left of about 2mm. At my last appointment, my doctor pointed out the gap and I asked whether I could get away with having it there (I'm a bit tired of the whole process and just want these damn braces off!). He said it would be optimal to close it so everything is in it's correct position before I get a lower permanent bonded retainer (which will only go across six teeth).

I now have a heavy spring and elastics working at closing the gap...
Talk to your doc and tell them your concerns. Leaving a gap there could create problems with food getting stuck in there and possibly causing your tooth to decay (who knows). It all comes down to if you are not happy, don't put up with it - they're your teeth and unless he can give you a legitimate reason for why the gap can't be closed, don't accept it.

Good Luck,

Katy

londonchick

#3 Post by londonchick »

Thought i might help from the other side.

My last few months in braces were spent closing my extraction gap between 3 and 4 (counting from the front, don't know the actual names). The power chain went on and it closed, then i had single ligs on and it opened again, power chain to close and then the braces came off.

I had a permanent retainer on the front 6 then had to wait 2 weeks for my essix retainers. During those 2 weeks the gap opened again. When i went in to get my retainers my ortho said she'd expected it anyway. I had to wear the retainter for the first 24 hours to get everything back to pre-brace day then just a night. So now i wake up with no gap then the gap slowly opens during the day, retainer goes in closes it and so on.

It doesn't open a huge amount but enough to get a large tepe brush between and i am a little concerned about the fact that my teeth are constantly moving. My ortho doesn't seem concerned though and said the teeth will settle eventually. I've only been out of braces a few weeks so i'm happy to trust her judgement AND it ensures i wear my retainer every single night :lol:

caryca

#4 Post by caryca »

Thanks for your replays!!
I am glad that there are people with similar situation out there….well at least it ensured me. The gap is quite big and the braces should be off in 3 months so I do not expect any significant change. Especially when once it was already closed – powerchain- however then my bite was open. So I guess she will not do a thing with it.

BTW I need to vent so I will do it here: I call the praxis as was told to get appointment. So my doc is still on maternity leave, that’s makes 10 months from my perspective, and of course I could not get appointment after 5 weeks with the other one- all booked I will have one after 7 weeks in 3 elastics. I really hate it!! And actually I will put official complain to the manager. It’s a large thing and I am since they’ve started, so I expect to have a proper treatment + I feel like I am not treated properly as a client. I wish now that I have not started. And on top of that I need to cancel my trip to Amsterdam+ marathon run, well I am not really fit for the full marathon –my fault but at least I could run half – it would be fun as well!!!
6/4/2005: 2nd premolar extracted+ spacers in
6/13/2005: clear braces: top and bottom
next 'date' on 18th Nov. ...and the bottoms might be off then?!:-) top will stay until Dec. before xmas.