Whitening toothpaste???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kat

Whitening toothpaste???

#1 Post by Kat »

I hear/read yes, no...yes,no.
Well which is it? :!:

What is the real reason for the no's? I'm going to ask my ortho in a few weeks but I really don't want to wait, I like the whitening toothpastes.

Kat

#2 Post by Kat »

No one knows this answer???

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

I agree with KK. If you find a toothepaste that bleaches teeth so well they would leave my teeth WHITE around my brackets, I want in on the secret. ;-) :-)
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Namaste

Re: Whitening toothpaste???

#4 Post by Namaste »

I noticed my teeth started to yellow once I had braces. I use to whiten before I had them installed. I didn't want yo use whitening tooth paste in fear of discoloration on my teeth once braces were removed. But I can't stand to look in the mirror at my yellow teeth! I started back with my old toothpaste I use Toms anti plaque and whitening. To my surprise I almost instantly noticed how much whiter my teeth looked! I thought about oil pulling with coconut oil as well. I tried it and it felt wonderful. But when I looked it up to see if it was safe for braces, no one had the answers. So I hope you can use this.
Good luck

TheProfessor

#5 Post by TheProfessor »

I asked my ortho on the day I was braced and she said that any toothpaste with fluoride is fine, including the whitening ones. My teeth weren't super white to begin with, so I've been alternating a non-whitening toothpaste with Colgate optic white. I alternate because I want to whiten a little, but I feel like those toothpastes might be too harsh to use 3x or more per day. I had a bracket repositioned a few weeks ago and there was no color difference under the bracket after 7 months with braces and moderate coffee drinking ( one or two cups a day)
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

Felina Grimm

#6 Post by Felina Grimm »

My ortho advised me not to use whitening toothpaste. In fact, I can't use it anymore since my teeth are too sensitive and whitening toothpastes are abrasives. The baking soda toothpaste I used to use was destroying my enamel.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

sirwired

#7 Post by sirwired »

If you use a whitening toothpaste, use one that has a mild bleaching agent vs. one that whitens via abrasives. (If there's something on the tube about "Enamel Protection" or some-such, that's usually a signal it has low abrasivity.)

Personally, I don't think whitening toothpastes do a whole lot; quality sensitivity protection with the lowest abrasivity I could find was more important to me. (Since you are brushing your teeth so often (and right after eating), you really don't want something scrubbing down your enamel.