Not Happy With The Final Outcome :(

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

contour

Not Happy With The Final Outcome :(

#1 Post by contour »

Hello! I had my braces (damon) taken off on July 6th 2006. My teeth seemed fine, but even with my invisalign style retainer, my teeth seemed to have moved within such a short space of time. They are slowly but surely going wonky again :( (unless its all just in my head).

I wasnt entirely happy with the final outcome, but I accepted it, but almost two months on, they seem to be getting worse.

I had forked out £2500 for the treatment which lasted 18 and a half months. I had high expectations of having that perfect hollywood smile! :(

Any advice on what I could do?

I have attached some pictures..

johnnys_angel

#2 Post by johnnys_angel »

You have beautiful, healthy choppers there I am jealous!!!! I can't quite say if they've moved wonky again or not since I haven't seen your teeth every day like you have, but if you think something is wrong call your ortho! If you are wearing your retainers exactly as instructed and something still goes wrong, then it's not at your fault. Good luck :)
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

contour

#3 Post by contour »

Thanks mate!

I think the pics I took are giving my teeth a false impression!

Heres two more, more close up using a better resolutioned camera so you can just about tell the wonkyness returning!!

I have been wearing the retainers for like a minimum of 9 hours each night, maybe more depending on certain things etc..

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Contour. Sorry to hear you are having troubles with movement, post braces. You state that you are wearing your retainer about 9 hours a day. Weren't you told to wear your retainer 24/7 for at least 6 months and then nights only? That seems to be what most people are reporting when their braces come off.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

juf_84

#5 Post by juf_84 »

Hi!

Do you wear your retainers during the day? I was under the impression that they should be worn 24/7 for a while and then at night for life.

But then my cousin had her braces off in March and is on to only night wear. She has noticed that some teeth have moved.

Personally I would wear my retainers as often as possible (when I finally get there!!), and I'd give your ortho a call to see what he says.

Best of luck!
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

sjsarre

#6 Post by sjsarre »

I think your teeth look great.

My ortho told me that I would have to wear retainers 24/7 for about a year minimum otherwise they would start to move out of place.. He said that is the main part of the treatment plan that isn't adhered to by patients..

I would suggest that a call to your Ortho's office is required to enquire as to whether this should be the case...

chops

#7 Post by chops »

how are we to really wear them 24 hours a day?? I myself am quite the slow eater so that's about 2 hours out of my day wear to eating itself (not including snacking) and then I also play sports and although some say you can wear a your retainer while playing, I prefer not to run the risk, so that's another 3-4 hours out of some days of the week.

do you guys think my teeth will really shift a lot if I keep taking it out like this? when I go to put it back in it tends to be tight, but after a while it's ok agian, so I figured it was ok.

Joanna20

#8 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey! I think your teeth look gr8, however they are not perfect. Where they completely straight right after u took ur braces?
I'm so scared this will happen to me once I'm done :( . I think it's called relapse or something...
My advice is use your retainers as much as you can and see you ortho. Maybe there is something he can do!

Good luck,

Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

Xero

#9 Post by Xero »

You should have worn your retainer for more than 9 hours a day. Talk to your ortho about getting it fixed. After that, wear your retainer all day, except for eating and cleaning!
About three years since being braced. Changed ortho twice, so it's hard to keep track.

A very special thanks to KK & linda21 for constantly reading my log. Thanks!

Brooke

#10 Post by Brooke »

Are you not biting down on purpose in the last 2 pics? I am trying to find the movements in the teeth but I dont see any. The bite looks different but I dunno if your biting down or just showing alignment. Other then that, the teeth look just as straight to me.
*Usually the longer roads lead to more rewarding endings*

Braced~ 10/11/04
Braces come off May 2, 2006!!!!! :)
Hawley Retainer full time!

contour

#11 Post by contour »

Ok.. Two years on and things seem to have got worse! I still dont feel confident smiling, and my teeth seem to have become the same as the were before I had braces. I had a new retainer made, and have been wearing those ever since, around 14hours daily, but then my ortho refused any furthur treatment because he only had a one year policy, so im confused about what to do next, should i go back to getting braces? should I go for veneers? or should I just be content with what i have

mkvkelly

#12 Post by mkvkelly »

He refused treatment? That seems a bit un-professional.
Go to another ortho and get an opinion!

Wobblydeb

#13 Post by Wobblydeb »

If you are unhappy with your teeth, then you really need to discuss what options you have either with your existing orthodontist, or somebody new.

Sorry to say, but you may need to go into braces again. Teeth unfortunately do move around after braces come off, and how you are going to keep them in place is a fundamental part of orthodontics! (especially when you're paying for all this work!)

In future you might want to enquire about fixed retainers (a bar glued to the back of your incisors) but this cannot resolve the issue you have now.
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

amandajane

response

#14 Post by amandajane »

The pictures aren't that clear but from what I see they look fairly aligned. But those are pictures, not real life. If you don't like the end product go see another orthodontist. Your the one that has to live with it!

funkster22657

Re: Not Happy With The Final Outcome :(

#15 Post by funkster22657 »

Iam an adult I wore braces 18 months to give me overjet they slimed the bot and pushed out the tops. At 16 months the other ortho guy with out even an explanation or looking at my mouth shaved and slimed a doulble cut on my tops and squeezed together as to cut them deeper, this pulled back my tops greatly. I hate it and ive complained, he spent under 60 seconds on me without ever stopping to check or even look at me straight ahead. It was totaly wrong, it took 60 sceconds to do the most important operation of my life. The main guy later said it was done to close holes at gums and before this he had said I needed dental bonding on those holes I think hes just coveing his but. I hate it, my question is when my mouth is shut should I feel some discomfort in my jaw joints? My teeth are flush in and out while Iam relaxed but fine when Iam on my back. My bottoms scrub my tops when I shut em, my tops are straight up and down when looked at sideways when before the bottom of the top top teeth leaned forward giving me some needed overjet. When I lean back about 15 to 25 degrees while sitting my bite is comfortable while closed so did they cut back a little to much?