Tooth Grinding and Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iBorg

Tooth Grinding and Braces

#1 Post by iBorg »

I'm a mid 40's male. I had braces as a senior in high school-sophomore college. I can't say it was a good experience. I did not follow through treatment and wear a retainer as told to. One result from that treatment was a canine that was damaged to the extent that a root canal had to be performed to remove a cavity formed under or near the band. My teeth aren't perfect but they are a whole lot better than before treatment.

During the past 10-15 years I developed quite a tooth-grinding problem. I finally found a dentist that recognized the problem and fitted splints over both upper and lower teeth. They were a Godsend as my headaches have all but disappeared. Now she has suggested bonding and bite realignment to correct the damage from the grinding. A previous dentist would grind down the chips but never tried to solve the problem.

Overall my bite isn't perfect, which my current dentist believes is a major cause of my grinding. She has suggested bonding ALL of my upper and lower teeth between the canines and realigning my bite. Does this sound reasonable or should I consider another round of ortho work to modify my bite and eliminate the grinding?

Thanks,

Mike

rsprouse

#2 Post by rsprouse »

Correcting the plane of occlusion and restoring the vertical dimension are often used in treatment to correct bite issues and their side effects (headaches, bruxism, etc). Using orthodontics is the main way this is accomplished and accenting it with bonding is perfectly acceptable. Please note that often times bonding on anterior teeth in cases like this may not last if your bite is not properly fixed. But it is a simple and non-invasive procedure and is a good start. If it doesn't work then you can always seek more in depth treatment (ie - long term braces)

Good Luck,
Rory