Hawley retainer with a lingual bow?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

frankwhardy

Hawley retainer with a lingual bow?

#1 Post by frankwhardy »

I'm a class III (underbite) case and I'm wondering if it's possible to have a Hawley retainer made for the upper arch with a lingual bow wire instead of the usual labial bow? My upper incisors, especially the laterals, have a very strong tendency to relapse by moving in the rearward direction (I know from having had a first set of braces as a teenager) and they are therefore needing to have force exerted from their lingual side. (I'd like to avoid having a bonded upper retainer, which would be the other option.)

Thanks for any help!
Frank

frankwhardy

#2 Post by frankwhardy »

As a followup to my original question, I'm wondering if as an alternative to having a lingual wire added to a Hawely retainer, whether the acrylic palate portion of the Hawley retainer can be made to extend down the lingual (rear) surfaces of the upper incisors in order to exert the necessary forward force to prevent those teeth from migrating/tipping backwards? In otherwords, does the acrylic portion of a Hawley retainer normally only cover the palate, or does it also extend up/down behind each tooth as well? (I'm not able to tell from any of the photos that I've seen.)

Thanks,
Frank

stRaighteR

#3 Post by stRaighteR »

hi, i have never seen a hawley retainer that extends further than the palate, but I suppose they could make one. Have u ever tried an essix retainer?

leah

retainer

#4 Post by leah »

Hi, My upper hawley reatiner extneds almost to the bottom of my top teeth. Ortho says it so the top teeth cant move back since they have the tendency to relapse that way....... ask your Ortho about it... huh I thought that was normal? what do i know though....

best wishes,
Leah
lower wisdom teeth cut out 1/27/05 (ouch)
braced 3/8/05.
24-30 month Est.
going full metal 8/22/05
Naked as of August 28, 2006