longest period without breaking a bracket?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braced@28

longest period without breaking a bracket?

#1 Post by braced@28 »

Well, I've been fully braced for 13 days now, with a pallette expander for 6 of those.

When I went in to get my expander in, my ortho told me my front teeth had moved over 2mm in 6 days and that my progress was great. He also said it was great I hadn't broken any brackets as the first week is the hardest and that most people tend to break a bracket while getting used to them.

I really want these braces off as quickly as possible and am very concientious when brushing etc so as to not break a bracket and slow down my progress.

I'm curious; what's the longest period of time you've been without breaking a bracket?

Way Too Old For This

#2 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I've been in braces about 8 months now and have never broken a bracket. I'm not very careful either. I eat whatever I can chew.

My Ortho does replace my brackets a lot so he can re-position them. But never because I've broken one. My daughter was braced a month after me and has never broken any. My older daughter didn't break any through her whole treatment.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Evelyn

#3 Post by Evelyn »

41 months! The only time I broke a bracket was in my third month when I was chewing on plastic...

guess I kind of deserved that one...

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

braced@28

#4 Post by braced@28 »

Wow!! And here I am proud that I didn't break one in the first week. Haha. :oops:

Well, it's good to know they're more durable than I thought!!

braced@28

#5 Post by braced@28 »

KK wrote:I had my first bracket disappear while I was asleep at around seven months.
Disappear?!? As in you possibly swallowed it?

Dark_angel

#6 Post by Dark_angel »

Braced@28, if you do swallow a bracket they will just pass straight through your digestive system just like anything else. They dont pose a risk, loads of people swallow them. People swallow pennies and coins alot and they pass through so a bracket thats a fraction of the size isnt a problem.

When my bracket fell off it remained attached to the archwire.

n216

#7 Post by n216 »

i have had mine on for 8 months now and have broke one bracket when brushing my ortho has broke about 4 in the past months trying to put on chains :evil: ihate those lip holders the most but my teeth need alot of pull now so i understand
spacers 9-19-05
braces 9-20-05

Caroline

#8 Post by Caroline »

16 months in and never broke one...
Ceramics
Top braced January 7, 2005
Bottom braced February 4, 2005
Tops off July 10, 2006!!!
Bottoms off August 15, 2006!!!

TechChick

#9 Post by TechChick »

21 months for me, no broken brackets as of yet :)
TechChick,

If its not smoking then its a software problem

lionfish

#10 Post by lionfish »

I had a bracket come unstuck 3 days after my top braces went on. It was attached to a crown, so the fault was probably not mine. 6 weeks later, I broke a bracket off a molar at the back; probably my fault this time, as I'd been eating cheese sticks and they are pretty hard. I guess I must have swallowed it.

I'm into my 4th month and no dramas since (fingers crossed).

alexa

#11 Post by alexa »

14 months and 2 weeks...never broken one! :wink:
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

t3knophile

#12 Post by t3knophile »

~9 months (and counting)
I haven't broken any brackets since I got my braces on Aug 1, 2005. :)
Ceramic braces on top / Metal braces on bottom :: Aug 1, 2005
Estimated Time :: 12 - 18 months

braced@28

#13 Post by braced@28 »

Wow, you guys are really impressive!! The way my orthodontist was talking I thought breaking brackets would be a bi-weekly (or "fortnightly" for the kiwis and aussies among us) occurance, (which, I might add, could only be beneficial in spicing up my monotonous blended food diet :P )

Thanks for all the responses. I can now rest/brush/eat assured!! :p

smile

#14 Post by smile »

17 months and counting. ;]

dena

#15 Post by dena »

yeah i havent broken anything yet

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months