Gap forming on front teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bracey 1

#1 Post by Bracey 1 »

I'm 34 and got ceramic braces on my uppers 5 weeks ago. I had my first adjustment today..the orthodontist put on metal ties on from my fangs to the back. I just noticed there is a slight gap/space forming in the middle of my two front teeth..it is a thin gap but it was not there before.
My two front teeth were crooked along with other problems, but now the front look straight (not completely but very close to). I am happy that things are moving so quickly more so than I expected :) . I am worried that this gap will get bigger and pose another set of problems to fix as well as delay my treatment. My treatment time is expected to be a year.
Has anyone experienced this? Is this a part of the process and willl close up?
Thanks
B1
Last edited by Bracey 1 on Wed May 10, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

I think that this was on another post. This happened to me. It is normal. They just put powerchains on mine and they are closing up nicely. Don't worry. The ortho won't leave you with any unsightly gaps, unless you let him! :-)
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

TechChick

#3 Post by TechChick »

unless you let him??? I got my braces on in Aug 2004 and developed a gap between my left lateral and canine within 6 month....I still have this gap :? What aggervates me is that they were going to start closing some spaces during my next adjustment (thats been 3 adjustments ago) plus I'm getting new gaps.

Sorry about that rant....
TechChick,

If its not smoking then its a software problem

fins

#4 Post by fins »

I had no gaps when I started and I wound up with a few, which are being closed as we speak. If the gaps are really coming fast and furious, you can ask your ortho about it (if they are bothering you). Sometimes teeth can be wired together to avoid more gaps forming. It depends on what your ortho has to do but sometimes they can help limit the forming of gaps.

Bracey, one year of treatment is very, very good. Don't worry about the gaps too much, they will close up. Sometimes one side of an arch takes longer to move than the other side so be patient.

Bracey 1

#5 Post by Bracey 1 »

Thanks Everyone
Your replies puts me at ease. Don't get me wrong I am grateful things are moving along. Just trying to learn more about the process and what is normal and not. My ortho never mentioned anything about gaps forming. The gap started forming near the gumline and had been there for weeks, then on Tuesday in a matter of hours it opened up..kind of freaky but amazing at the same time.
I will monitor it and if it gets worse contact the office. Thanks again for your feedback..I am really glad this site exists.
Cheers
B1