retainers

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chops

retainers

#1 Post by chops »

does anyone else feel like it's a real downer to have to wear a retainer after these braces come off? I mean I had to suffer wearing a retainer when I wa syoung, and now I have to do it again. I think my braces are coming off in the next few months, so I'm excited, but NOT for the retainer!

kirst1583

#2 Post by kirst1583 »

Nah it's really not that bad... and it's not for long anyway.
I've worn mine full time for a month and now it's just 12 hrs a day. You get used to them really quick anyway. For me the most hassle is with taking it out to eat.

Septimus

#3 Post by Septimus »

are they visible?

Evelyn

#4 Post by Evelyn »

I've been in braces for so long honestly I don't care about having to wear retainers. I'll just be thankful that my days as a metal mouth are done :D
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

mtbrncofn

#5 Post by mtbrncofn »

I would agree, retainers blow. IMO, they are more of a hassle than braces. Once you get the ok to quit wearing your retainer 24-7, then you're feeling pretty good.

I can handle it at night fine, but I must say....it's darn tight when it goes back on at night!
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

kirst1583

#6 Post by kirst1583 »

are they visible?
Mine is visible but actually doesn't look much different to when I had braces because it has a clear part over the metal wire on front...
Now that I don't have my retainer in all the time i'm starting to get people noticing my braces are off!

JumpTheDitch

#7 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Hey Kirst1583, I can't believe it's been over a month since your debanding! How time flies, huh, how's it going being a naked tooth?

Leslie022

#8 Post by Leslie022 »

I'll do whatever it takes to keep these teeth looking good after the time and money i've invested in them.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

kirst1583

#9 Post by kirst1583 »

Hey Kirst1583, I can't believe it's been over a month since your debanding! How time flies, huh, how's it going being a naked tooth?
Yeah tell me about it.. I can't believe it's been a mth either!
Things are going fantastic. I'm still not used to it though... they are so smooth!!!!! I also think my mirror has become my new best friend. lol

chops

#10 Post by chops »

you only have to wear them for 12 hours a day??? I think I have to wear mine 24/7 except while eating.

I was wondering, when playing sports (I might play for 4 to 5 hours, twice a week), I cannot wear a retainer in my mouth, so do you guys think my teeth will shift a lot if I don't wear them for 4-5 hours, twice a week, plus during meals??

keep in mind that I do not have a full set of braces, and have only had mine on for less than a year (i think it was about 8 months)

kirst1583

#11 Post by kirst1583 »

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I don't come here as often as I used to!
Yeah only 12hrs a day.. It was 24/7 for the 1st 3mths though.
As far as the sport thing goes - i'm not sure. I'd suggest checking with ur ortho to be on the safe side.
I play sport too but have a molded mouthguard that I wear, so I figure that's doing the same thing as the retainer anyway.

kirst1583

#12 Post by kirst1583 »

Looks like i lied... lol
Just read my previous post and I only had to wear it full time for a mth. It's funny the things u forget so quickly!