Chain troubles (they suck)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

soupeepee

Chain troubles (they suck)

#1 Post by soupeepee »

Hi I'm a new person and i just really need some advice because idk what I'm supposed to be doing about my situation lmao. So, about four weeks ago I got brackets put on all four of my very back molars. That same week I had to go back in because the powerchain had popped off the back two on my top right hand side. Apparently they didn't put the second-to-last chain band on the whole tooth (only the top half) and it makes it really easy to just accidentally rip off. So, the ortho puts it on the whole tooth and sends me on my way. Figured it was the end of that.
I have been back at least once every week since then because the other side keeps coming off!! I was literally brushing my teeth tonight and whoops, there it goes. But every time I go back they refuse to put it on the whole bracket, saying 'It's just part of it.' and that 'I should be eating softer foods.' Ffs it came off in my sleep once.
What should I do???

djspeece

Re: Chain troubles (they suck)

#2 Post by djspeece »

Is it the techs who are telling you "That's just the way it is, etc."? Because that sounds crazy to me. And while the ortho may not think it's a big deal, you are spending a lot of time going to and from unnecessary appointments. The techs may be cutting corners because for them it may be too much work to do it the right way. It might be worthwhile to have the ortho teach you how to do it yourself using a dental mirror -- but I'd make sure he/she knows what advice you have been told by the techs. Most of the techs were pretty good at the practice I used (one had been an RN in South America and had excellent eye-hand coordination [disclaimer: I am an RN and look for these things]) but others seemed a bit clumsy and lackadaisical. You shouldn't have to put up with that and I'm guessing the ortho is not aware of this sort of thing, but really should be told.
Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

soupeepee

#3 Post by soupeepee »

In terms of her skills and how she does things, my ortho is quite efficient and I've never had a problem like this with her before. I'd assume she's just dismissing it because she's busy, but it's just so difficult for me to travel to a different town everytime I have a mishap. She also hasn't exactly told me why she's refusing to put the chain on properly - which is one of the main reasons why I'm a bit mad. Going in to get it fixed again soon so hopefully we can have a proper chat. Thanks for the advice :)

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

Good luck with it in any event. If she's that busy, you'd think she'd want to avoid unplanned visits to reposition the chain. I would be interested in her explanation.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

trifecta

#5 Post by trifecta »

Sorry you are having these problems. It seems a bit odd that the powerchains keep coming off. I have had part of one of the links come
loose from either the top or bottom half of the bracket a time or two in which case you just need to stretch the ring back around the wings
of the bracket but I have never had the end of the chain come loose from the molar bracket. Sometimes molar brackets are not full winged
brackets but smaller tube type brackets with a small hook on them. As such the circumference of the bracket is not a big and the undercuts
of the bracket wings are not present so the ring of the chain is not as stretched but the hook should hold the back end of the chain in place.
I have had a chain in place for the past several months and have not had your problems. They do have heaver stronger chains (no colors, just gray)
that I have been wearing since the lighter chains weren't closing the space, possibly that would help??? Good luck!