Wax and hot beverages?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Livse

Wax and hot beverages?

#1 Post by Livse »

I just had my braces put on, they put the brackets on two weeks ago. The hooks cut up the inside of my chins, and I was miserable for around 5 days, then it got better. 1 week ago they put on the metal loops around my molars and the wire. On the inside of one of the metal loops, there is a thing going out that hurt my tung so so bad. after 4 days I gave up, I could't speak or eat due to pain (the metal thing had cut a hole on the underside of my tongue).

So now I use the wax, it works very well on the pain. But I worry that my tongue will not get used to the metal thing so I will have to use wax the whole time I'm in braces (4 years!). Also, I am a tea drinker and usually drink 3 or 4 liters a day. It melts the wax, so I can choose between tea and pain or no tea and no pain. I feel so deflated. This braces thing is much harder than I anticipated; due to bite block I cannot chew anything but only eat blended foods, and now I cannot drink tea :(

- Will I get a tougher tongue even though I wear wax?
- What did you do? Just tough it out? It is MUCH worser below the tongue than it was on the cheeks!
- Is something wrong since it hurts so much? Should I ask the dentist?

Thanks!

djspeece

Re: Wax and hot beverages?

#2 Post by djspeece »

By all means, wax to the max! 8) Your tongue will toughen up, and the oral cavity tends to heal quickly because of the brisk blood flow it enjoys. There's also a product called Mack's Silicone Pillows, used by swimmers for their ears, apparently (I'm a qualified SCUBA diver but wouldn't dream about using it at any significant depth) but many find it more lasting than wax. Also, dentakit.com, the sponsor of this board found at the main landing page https://www.archwired.com/ has other options for pain. As far as drinking hot liquids, just reapply wax afterwards. I ate a lot of wax during my three years of treatment.

If things don't improve, give your ortho a call, as he/she may be able to do a quick tweak on the offending wire, since the point is not to injure the tongue during orthodontic treatment. I think the initial phase of treatment is the most challenging. In addition to the pain, most of us (well, me) suffered from the altered body image -- to me the braces were hideous at first, and I second-guessed my decision to get braces endlessly. But as it turns out, most people don't even notice them, much less care that you have them. Go figure.

I have thankfully been out of my braces for over 5 years, but I still vividly recall the first three weeks as pure unadulterated torture. When I visit any drug store, I would always peruse the dental isle for the latest and greatest. I bought a lot of extra wax beyond what my ortho provided. I had it stashed everywhere -- my car, office, bedroom, girlfriend's house, shave kit...you name it.

Hang in there, and best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Livse

#3 Post by Livse »

Ohh thank you so much for your kind reply! "and I second-guessed my decision to get braces endlessly" this! So much! I don't really have a choice as I apparently need jaw surgery to avoid my teeth to wear down, but still I have fantasied about just asking them to remove the braces. I am a bit overwhelmed with the pain, the bite blocks (hate them!), not being able to eat anything but soup and blended foods for more than two weeks now. Sigh. Looking forward to getting used to them and not thinking about them all the time. I have to have them on for 2,5-3 years, then jaw surgery, then 1 more year. THEN freedom - at daytime at least haha!

Dunnyet

#4 Post by Dunnyet »

Hi Livse, welcome to the club! Sounds like you have quite the orthodontic journey ahead of you, fear not, you’ll find plenty of good advice here as well as moral support. Feel free to ask questions, but always consult your orthodontist before making major decisions. We are here to help as best we can, and all the best on your journey! Cheers!

Livse

#5 Post by Livse »

Dunnyet wrote:
> Hi Livse, welcome to the club! Sounds like you have quite the orthodontic
> journey ahead of you, fear not, you’ll find plenty of good advice here as
> well as moral support. Feel free to ask questions, but always consult your
> orthodontist before making major decisions. We are here to help as best we
> can, and all the best on your journey! Cheers!

Thank you! I will contact my ortho, I hope they can relieve some of this for me :)

djspeece

#6 Post by djspeece »

Livse wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:11 pm Ohh thank you so much for your kind reply! "and I second-guessed my decision to get braces endlessly" this! So much! I don't really have a choice as I apparently need jaw surgery to avoid my teeth to wear down, but still I have fantasied about just asking them to remove the braces. I am a bit overwhelmed with the pain, the bite blocks (hate them!), not being able to eat anything but soup and blended foods for more than two weeks now. Sigh. Looking forward to getting used to them and not thinking about them all the time. I have to have them on for 2,5-3 years, then jaw surgery, then 1 more year. THEN freedom - at daytime at least haha!
Also, you can take over-the-counter medications for the pain. Ibuprofen works great, as it targets specific biochemical intermediaries particular to dental (and bone) pain. There seems to be some debate on its use (my ortho had no issue with it) as it does have some effect on the inflammatory response, necessary for bone remodeling and tooth movement. I used it pretty frequently during the first few weeks and then only after an adjustment and the application of new power chains for a day or two. No need to suffer. Others find that acetaminophen or aspirin works just fine. Take as directed, especially the ibuprofen. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying