Lots of concerns with my braces HELP (esp. molar bands??)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Seraphina22

Lots of concerns with my braces HELP (esp. molar bands??)

#1 Post by Seraphina22 »

Hi guys, i'm new to this forum not quite sure how to navigate yet so forgive me if i'm doing something wrong.
Anyway, I just started with my braces journey two month ago. I'm 20 this year and these are some reasons why i decided to get braces: A bit of overbite/overjet, moderate crowding (around 5 front tooth were slightly overlapping), normal looking profile.
Last December i had my first consultation, was told no extractions required after a quick look by the dentist, he also told me my lips were slightly protruding (I don't really see it tho) and after treatment they would flatten down. Then i had my x-rays molds etc. done and was told i had to get 4 premolars extracted after the dentist did some measurements thing (he said I would have 5mm protrusion(or something) if i don't extract not exactly sure what that means). So I proceeded to get my teeth extracted at the start of January. Being a paranoid and worried person, I didn't really dare to eat much cos I was so afraid of infections etc. I also read a lot of scary things online... then at the end of January, I had spacers and molar bands placed in, and this was the start of my concerns..
So first concern, around a week with my molar bands in, i started to notice my face thinning a lot, my mum said my cheeks and temples look hollow/sunken. We both attributed it to weight loss as i didn't eat a lot due to the extractions. later, i thought it could be because I didn't chew much too due to the extractions again, was swallowing everything, and i read that this could lead facial muscles weakening and subsequently thinner face? So I started eating a lot and chewing heck a lot hoping it would be better. The following week (mid-start of February), I had my braces put on. Still trying to eat a lot and chewing the best i could. Now I'm two weeks into braces, gained weight but my face still looks the same. My teeth does look a lot straighter tho.
My thoughts:
Firstly, i don't think it's due to the extractions as these changes occured too fast (drastic facial change within like only 3 weeks). not just my mum, but i had a friend who have not seen me since before the braces journey told me that he couldn't recognise me (and that I look ill). Also, I read that a lot of people who did not extract experienced similar changes (tho their changes did not occur this early in their journey).
Secondly, apart from weight loss and chewing that could be possible reasons, I thought that my molar bands were the main cause. 1. the changes started when i had my bands in. 2. Only my right molars touch each other, so all the other teeth do not, leaving me in this really uncomfortable open bite with sore jaws and headache. So this happened because my upper right molar rests on the metal bracket of the molar band of the bottom right molar. I asked my dentist about this teeth not touching thing and he said it is normal so i didn't gave much thought. but maybe because my teeth don't meet, my face stretched out, causing it to look thinner, longer?

I have no idea anymore, I'm so nervous and afraid because I hate how my face looks now (older, ill-looking, thin) and I'm only such a short while into this journey...
What do you guys think? Is it weight lost, chewing muscles weakening, or molar bands causing my teeth to not meet? or could there be other explanation?
Also is this a temporary thing? Praying with all my might that it is...
tbh, my teeth didn't even look that bad at the start, hoping that all things will look fine at the end.

Allison

Re: Lots of concerns with my braces HELP (esp. molar bands??)

#2 Post by Allison »

Hey there, I know this is a late reply but I’m going through the exact same thing now. Sorry this happened to you as well, it’s extremely distressing. I’m wondering if you’ve seen any improvement since then?

someguy98

Re: Lots of concerns with my braces HELP (esp. molar bands??)

#3 Post by someguy98 »

Well, given the fact that you posted this more than 3 years ago, I don't know how much sense it makes to reply... but perhaps it will help other people who have similar problems.

When I had braces the first time (8 years ago), I had bands on my first molars and my second premolars. Both upper and lower jaw on both sides.

The first few days were very uncomfortable, not gonna lie. But over time I got used to them and after like 2-3 weeks or so, I had no problems anymore.