Results of reopening extraction spaces and what to do next

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lissalissak

Results of reopening extraction spaces and what to do next

#1 Post by Lissalissak »

Hi all - this is my first post here so I don’t believe I can post photos yet, but I will do so as soon as I am able to.

I had my bicuspid extraction spaces reopened with Invisalign. It is a huge regret for me and I really think people need to think long and hard before

Lissalissak

Re: Results of reopening extraction spaces and what to do next

#2 Post by Lissalissak »

Sorry I don’t know how to edit my post but what I was going to say is I think people need to really think hard before undergoing bicuspid extraction reversal. I don’t really like my results for various reasons, one of which that my teeth look flared outward now, and I don’t think my arch is proportionate to my face. I also had my molars come down during treatment and they never fully went back, leaving me with a longer face. Finally I had ipr on my lower teeth, just a little bit and somehow my chin looks very long now.

So I’m in a tough place trying to figure out whether to live with it or get ortho again. Basically I think my options are to go all in with the flared teeth and bring my lower teeth forward to fix my chin, or to have IPR on my top teeth to try to bring them back closer to my bottom. I know different orthos will approach this differently.

I need to post photos and will do that as soon as I’m able.

Lissalissak

#3 Post by Lissalissak »

I’m working on editing some photos to post. It’s hard to show the facial changes when I have to black out part of my face.

I went to another ortho today to see what he thought and he told me I have a “correct result.” I feel like I look awful. I don’t think my ortho necessarily did anything wrong but I think pushing my teeth out to make room for the implants wasn’t a good idea for my small face.

If you just look at the teeth, they look nice, but in the context of my entire face it doesn’t look good.

Lissalissak

#4 Post by Lissalissak »

I don’t know if anyones reading this thread since there are no responses but I wanted to give an update - I found out my ortho pulled all of my teeth downward. My whole arch came down at least 2-3mm, which is what caused my face to look so long. Crazy enough it caused the tissues of my face to stretch down with it, so my face basically experienced vertical growth. This is the worst mistake of my life and although my orthodontist totally screwed up I still implore ppl to think long and hard about undoing extractions. Don’t do it for aesthetic reasons, only if you are in a lot of pain and have airway problems or something and only go to someone who has a lot of experience. I saw Dr. Hang for a while and he knew what he was doing. Unfortunately I moved to another ortho to complete treatment and she destroyed my face.

lowercase

#5 Post by lowercase »

Ah, hello! Replying late because I've only just arrived.

I'm terribly sorry that you had this experience with your latest orthodonist. Your post is something I'll bear heavily in mind as I proceed. I'm afraid that I don't have much insight to offer; I've been skimming through extraction reversal threads whilst contemplating the procedure for myself. You have my empathy; these decisions and procedures can be difficult.

Lissalissak

#6 Post by Lissalissak »

Just be careful. It’s the biggest mistake of my life and I’m suffering greatly because of it. Only go to someone who has done this many times and don’t be afraid to stop treatment if things aren’t working out well.

akshatha

#7 Post by akshatha »

Hi @Lissalessak,
Can you share the photos of you face before and after the extraction reversal treatment? I was planning to get treatment for a re opening the extraction spaces. I also have a small face like you mentioned. So wanted to see the photos for reference before I start my treatment.

Thanks

zeinaazf

#8 Post by zeinaazf »

I’m sorry you’re experiencing this! Do you think its the ortho’s fault or the whole process shouldn’t have been done?!
I’ve had premolar extraction 10 months ago and and I’m regretting now so i quit treatment and I’m left with 3 to 4 mm gaps around my canines, and i don’t know if its possible to bring them back to where they used to be and having implants, no one in my country does this though, I’m probably going to leave everything as it is until I’m able to travel and seek options.