Please update for those undoing extractions (extraction reversal)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

abro884

Re: Please update for those undoing extractions (extraction reversal)

#16 Post by abro884 »

Hi guys, so FYI I moved to Australia last year and I swapped my treatment to a Sydney ortho and surgeon. I am going in for surgery in 4 months; I have 8mm of space on one side, and 6 on the other, so I only need 2mm more!

It worked! Very happy.

If you want details of options of those in Australia, please let me know. They are immeasurably better than those in NZ.

Kindest

americaninparis

#17 Post by americaninparis »

[quote=itsblackpepper post_id=507270 time=1554738728 user_id=32728]
I’m currently going through it. I actually had aso surgery which is the surgical route of 4 extractions and retractions. I was swollen for nearly 4 months and after swelling resided I realized that my entire face had changed. I was happy that my mouth was no longer protruding from the profile angle but I’m only 33 and I aged 10 years over night. I have plates and screws in my jaw but I went to a new orthodontist to advance and widen my smile. He’s only using braces (traditional) and I must say that it’s improving slightly. I wish he used a palatal expander but he doesn’t want to die to the plates that sit between my 2nd premolar and cainines. At this point I’m just being patient. The depression has taken over my life. I don’t even leave the house. My face elongated, my cheeks lost fullness, my temples are sunken and my smile looks wonky. I keep you guys updated on the progress
[/quote]

Hi Its Black Pepper: I am launching a movement to bring public awareness to the consequences of extractions. Part of this will be a website that lists all providers who help extraction victims worldwide. You're not alone in being depressed about this "mutilation". What you might not know is that there were already articles in the 1940s critiquing the Tweed procedure of extractions as "a mutilation of the skeletal form" and "ignorant of the principle of face growing". The debate against extractions has been ongoing for 80 years in the orthodontic community. No patient is warned that numerous research studies (especially in the 1960s and 1970s) proved that extraction-retraction flattened and elongated faces, reduced soft tissue (lips get thin, cheeks sink down), and retruded the jaws.

How is it possible that patients are warned if they take ASPIRIN that it might have, in .01 percent of cases, x or y effect: and when it comes to a major intervention in the body---like extracting 4 healthy organs (teeth are organs) and pulling back the jaws to change the way they grow---there is NO WARNING given to the patient that hundreds of articles have proven that this can destroy---in some patients more than others--your face?

It gets worse as you age. When I turned 50 (I too had extractions as a child), my face literally collapsed. I went from being a healthy looking yoga-surfer woman to looking 80 years old. I am now reversing the extractions and a documentary film maker is filming my reversal.

Please take this survey if you have had extractions! It will help get data for the project. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1smJ6xF ... eAdEcdDA4/

Liya7001

#18 Post by Liya7001 »

Hi... I am looking for a ortho in Canada to reverse my extraction in the next couple of years, does anyone know anyone in Canada who can do this? I found several in America but I can't afford to go for multiple trips

Puddles1987

#19 Post by Puddles1987 »

My dentist is reopening space where I had a tooth removed my old dentist didn’t advise that it would affect my catches and face symmetry however after a few years my teeth have all moved left and my mid line is about 6mm off.

I am currently 5 month in and can see a different and the specs is opening back up. My dentist is using Damon braces with power chain and springs on the left side

Sslee

#20 Post by Sslee »

Hi Abro884

I too had 4 premolars extracted and I want them undone at least partially. The tongue cramping leading to head tilting creates such an ache in my posture.

Who are you using to undo?

abro884 wrote:
> Hi guys, so FYI I moved to Australia last year and I swapped my treatment
> to a Sydney ortho and surgeon. I am going in for surgery in 4 months; I
> have 8mm of space on one side, and 6 on the other, so I only need 2mm more!
>
> It worked! Very happy.
>
> If you want details of options of those in Australia, please let me know.
> They are immeasurably better than those in NZ.
>
> Kindest

ToothPixi

#21 Post by ToothPixi »

Hi americaninparis,

Where are you having the treatment done. I have a similar issue. I had two premolars extracted as a child and ended up with breathing problems. I don't look too bad, but my profile recessed chin and no room for my tong is the problem. Do you know or does anyone know of an orthodontist in London/surrey, who does corrective surgery on adults. I am 63 but need the issue correcting as it is getting worse. Thanks pixi

Regretfulreggie74

#22 Post by Regretfulreggie74 »

Hello

I ruined my smile and face in 2010 listening to an ortho who said I need to extract 4 teeth to make my teeth really straight.. well it collapsed my face/narrowed smile same as everyone but I want COST I’m in CA how much do reverse this mess.. I had a beautiful smile but my teethed moved from braces as a kid.. I’ve never been the same .. please direct me to cost. My dream is to afford reversing this but likely too expensive - is there a board about dentists who do this??

Missingme

#23 Post by Missingme »

What part of California are you in? I’m 20 minutes from Los Angeles and have met with over 15 dentists in the area. I have narrowed it down to one who will begin my treatment in the next few months.

Catpotat

#24 Post by Catpotat »

Sslee wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:34 am Hi Abro884

I too had 4 premolars extracted and I want them undone at least partially. The tongue cramping leading to head tilting creates such an ache in my posture.

Who are you using to undo?

abro884 wrote:
>
> It worked! Very happy.
>
>
> Kindest
Please do give details, I live in Melbourne and suffering horribly from TMJ and breathing issues after premolar extractions :(

Lissalissak

#25 Post by Lissalissak »

Just wanted to chime in that I went to Dr. Hang in Southern California and a few things to keep in mind: bringing your teeth forward and outward will give you slightly or even seriously flared teeth. Most people are okay with this given the benefits but something to keep in mind. Another thing is that you will look a lot different, for some people it looks good, but other times it warps the face.

I was with Dr. Hang for about a year and switched to another ortho because he accidentally put me in an open bite and then started recommending surgery, which was 100% not needed. However, I did like the way I looked and having the extra tongue space was great.

I moved orthos and she pulled my bottom teeth backwards and moved my molars back to create more space and I don’t like the way I look. I think I looked far better before and honestly this is worse than when I had the extractions as a teen. I’m terribly depressed and stressed about it and regret the whole thing. My tmj is resolved now but I would have lived with some jaw pain to look the way I did before.

kmn195

#26 Post by kmn195 »

Missingme wrote:
> What part of California are you in? I’m 20 minutes from Los Angeles and
> have met with over 15 dentists in the area. I have narrowed it down to one
> who will begin my treatment in the next few months.

Please tell me who! I am in the area and looking for someone to help reverse my extractions

faceoff

#27 Post by faceoff »

Lissalissak wrote:
> Just wanted to chime in that I went to Dr. Hang in Southern California and
> a few things to keep in mind: bringing your teeth forward and outward will
> give you slightly or even seriously flared teeth. Most people are okay with
> this given the benefits but something to keep in mind. Another thing is
> that you will look a lot different, for some people it looks good, but
> other times it warps the face.
>
> I was with Dr. Hang for about a year and switched to another ortho because
> he accidentally put me in an open bite and then started recommending
> surgery, which was 100% not needed. However, I did like the way I looked
> and having the extra tongue space was great.
>
> I moved orthos and she pulled my bottom teeth backwards and moved my molars
> back to create more space and I don’t like the way I look. I think I looked
> far better before and honestly this is worse than when I had the
> extractions as a teen. I’m terribly depressed and stressed about it and
> regret the whole thing. My tmj is resolved now but I would have lived with
> some jaw pain to look the way I did before.

I'm actually looking to recreate my open bite as I now have a sunken in face and a slightly gummy smile after having had extractions plus jaw surgery. Why did you switch orthos?

Helloisthebest

#28 Post by Helloisthebest »

Sslee wrote:
> Hi Abro884
>
> I too had 4 premolars extracted and I want them undone at least partially. The tongue
> cramping leading to head tilting creates such an ache in my posture.
>
> Who are you using to undo?
>
> abro884 wrote:
> > Hi guys, so FYI I moved to Australia last year and I swapped my treatment
> > to a Sydney ortho and surgeon. I am going in for surgery in 4 months; I
> > have 8mm of space on one side, and 6 on the other, so I only need 2mm more!
> >
> > It worked! Very happy.
> >
> > If you want details of options of those in Australia, please let me know.
> > They are immeasurably better than those in NZ.
> >
> > Kindest

Hi, I live in London, but there are only a few doctors who reverse the extraction gaps. I was wondering how much it was in Australia and also what are the best options in Australia. The problem is I have braces for 5 years which is CRAZYYYY I know, and my gum has recessed a little. I was wondering if you noticed any downsides in your reopening extraction spaces treatment, such as flared teeth or further gum recession. Also if you had implants, did you experience any difficulties?

Blahblahblah

#29 Post by Blahblahblah »

[quote=Helloisthebest post_id=509846 time=1652702566 user_id=33761]
Sslee wrote:
> Hi Abro884
>
> I too had 4 premolars extracted and I want them undone at least partially. The tongue
> cramping leading to head tilting creates such an ache in my posture.
>
> Who are you using to undo?
>
> abro884 wrote:
> > Hi guys, so FYI I moved to Australia last year and I swapped my treatment
> > to a Sydney ortho and surgeon. I am going in for surgery in 4 months; I
> > have 8mm of space on one side, and 6 on the other, so I only need 2mm more!
> >
> > It worked! Very happy.
> >
> > If you want details of options of those in Australia, please let me know.
> > They are immeasurably better than those in NZ.
> >
> > Kindest

Hi, I live in London, but there are only a few doctors who reverse the extraction gaps. I was wondering how much it was in Australia and also what are the best options in Australia. The problem is I have braces for 5 years which is CRAZYYYY I know, and my gum has recessed a little. I was wondering if you noticed any downsides in your reopening extraction spaces treatment, such as flared teeth or further gum recession. Also if you had implants, did you experience any difficulties?
[/quote]

@Helloisthebest any chance you could share your experience with the ones in the UK and their details, please?

Bird2023

#30 Post by Bird2023 »

abro884 wrote:
>
> It worked! Very happy.
>
>
> Kindest
Hi, just want to find out if you have done all the treatment. Could you pleas share details of options available in Australia? Many thanks!