Braces causing me Grey hair and hair falling out and thinning out and Anorexia and Bulimia symptoms.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NancyWTucker

Braces causing me Grey hair and hair falling out and thinning out and Anorexia and Bulimia symptoms.

#1 Post by NancyWTucker »

Hi All,

I am prepping for jaw surgery but I have gone 3 years without any proper sleep because of how bad this sleep apnea has gone. The problem is that not only do I have body image issues with body hair growing out of nowhere(I am getting that checked out) but these braces are causing my hair to fall out/thin out as well as turning grey. I have symptoms of anorexia and bulimia which no one else is helping me through this because I am a man and since I am not rich and famous and a male, I am expendable. I was forced to do my own research and dig myself out of this but I am not throwing up or purging but I do have symptoms.

Did anyone else experience greying of the hair when prepping for jaw surgery?

djspeece

Re: Braces causing me Grey hair and hair falling out and thinning out and Anorexia and Bulimia symptoms.

#2 Post by djspeece »

I am an RN and not licensed to provide medical advice, but you have a lot to sort out here. You don't mention your age, or other preexisting issues and medical/psychiatric history (and I am not asking you for them, but it would be difficult for anyone, even a physician, to offer advice with such limited information. I am not aware of any cases in which braces caused the issues you mention. Have you seen a physician to address these issues? Do you think a therapist might be able to help with the eating disorders? Obviously you'd like to have good nutrition leading up to surgery. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

NancyWTucker

Re: Braces causing me Grey hair and hair falling out and thinning out and Anorexia and Bulimia symptoms.

#3 Post by NancyWTucker »

I have - but but they keep saying that I look tired.

assertives

#4 Post by assertives »

I'm not a doctor or a dentist but based on what I've read on eating disorder forums, it sounds like the body hairs and hair loss/thinning is more related to the eating disorder than braces. I would focus on finding a good therapist/dietitian to help navigate that.

NancyWTucker

#5 Post by NancyWTucker »

assertives wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:53 am I'm not a doctor or a dentist but based on what I've read on eating disorder forums, it sounds like the body hairs and hair loss/thinning is more related to the eating disorder than braces. I would focus on finding a good therapist/dietitian to help navigate that.
The doctors don't care and this was all caused by the braces and oral health is linked to mental health and vice versa. My bite isn't corrected which is causing me to become a compulsive eater but proving that is extremely difficult. When I pull my lower jaw forward, all the problems go away...

assertives

#6 Post by assertives »

While some of the issues you are experiencing can be inter-related, I think there are several factors at play here and you probably need to seek help for them individually. The eating disorder resulting in malnutrition is one aspect while the other is your bite issues. Your bite issues will improve with the jaw surgery. But the body image and eating disorder issues will need to be addressed seperately.