ALF Appliance - is anyone having treatment using this ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chachi254

Re: ALF Appliance - is anyone having treatment using this ?

#76 Post by Chachi254 »

I started my ALF Appliance treatment a week ago today. I am putting together an information youtube series following my ALF journey and the results I end up with. I've been taking a photo of my face, smiling and not smiling, every day so I can compare them from start to finish.

I'd love to hear back from those that have completed treatment or are currently in treatment. I'm a 27 year old male from the USA and currently have the ALF for my upper teeth. Growing up I never really developed cheekbones and have a "long face" accompanied with long bags under my eyes. I also suffer from allergies, ear drainage issues from birth, sinus issues, and uneven facial features.

For those within treatment or those whom have completed treatment, how much have your faces changed as a result of the ALF Appliance? Will I finally get those cheekbones that never formed because of my narrow pallet? Do you feel more attractive following your procedure?

Lily7

#77 Post by Lily7 »

Good luck on your journey!
Where are you getting treatment in the US? And do you know how much it will cost you in the end?

Chachi254

#78 Post by Chachi254 »

[quote=Lily7 post_id=503215 time=1531166825 user_id=31958]
Good luck on your journey!
Where are you getting treatment in the US? And do you know how much it will cost you in the end?
[/quote]

Thank you so much!

I'm receiving treatment from Dr. Hoefs, DDS at The Craniofacial Pain Center of Nebraska (Lincoln, NE USA)
Here is their website - http://www.cfpcne.com/content/meet-staff

Cost is $4300 for ALF Appliance, followed by braces totaling roughly 1.5 years of treatment. If it is deemed necessary for me to begin treatment on my bottom teeth as well, ALF Appliance and brackets on the bottom will be an additional $2400.

Dr. Hoefs was trained by Dr. Derick Nordstrom himself and is very well educated in the ALF Appliance realm. He's a straight-shooter and called out how barbaric traditional orthodontic techniques are and that most orthodontists are "too scared and single minded to give the ALF Appliance a shot."

I had my front-left tooth knocked clean out with a hockey puck almost 18 years ago and since then, my pallet has slowly started collapsing, my teeth have shifted AWAY from the opening where my tooth was (and is now filled with a false tooth that is glued to each of the teeth beside it). Following my ALF and Braces treatment, I'll need to receive a bone graft and have it placed in my upper jaw to ready my mouth for a permanent tooth implant.

300apm

#79 Post by 300apm »

[quote=Chachi254 post_id=503214 time=1531166472 user_id=32158]
I started my ALF Appliance treatment a week ago today. I am putting together an information youtube series following my ALF journey and the results I end up with. I've been taking a photo of my face, smiling and not smiling, every day so I can compare them from start to finish.

[/quote]

That is amazing. I am in a similar position to you and will start palatal expansion treatment soon, most likely with an ALF appliance. Do you mind linking to your youtube channel?

notlot

#80 Post by notlot »

I am in North Carolina where I have located only one dentist using a palatal expander on adults and it is the ALF. Although most dentists here graduated from UNC Dentistry school and the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area has good doctors, the field of dentistry is 20 years behind.

My palate was ruined by badly placed porcelain veneers in 2007.
Fortunately I have photos of my palate close to that time, when all was normal.
Compared to my current palate photos, it looks like someone beat me with a hammer.

Since that time I have developed a Class II Malocclusion, TMJ and a 25 degree curve in my spine. I noticed that my profile had changed about 5 years ago due to a receding chin. I thought it was aging not knowing that the chin does not recede with age and Class II malocclusions do not develop after childhood.

I can only hope for some improvement. I will never be restored to my normal bone structure which is depressing at times, but at least I am aware and have found professionals who understand the connection and can help.
I try to remember that people are often disfigured by accidents like auto. I am sure that they feel the same way and wish their body to be like it was before the accident, but it is not constructive.

I am working with a chiropractor certified in the CLEAR method. My 2 week CLEAR intensive begins on August 6 after my ALF and TwinBlock are placed on August 1. The two doctors are in touch so that the treatment will coincide.
I really hope that these therapies will help. I was beginning to have problems walking while seeing different dentists for the malocclusion and TMJ. No one checked my spine or asked about movement difficulties and I had no idea it was related. I actually thought I was being lazy about exercise.

I think that there are other people with my same complications stemming from bad dentistry but they are not aware because dentists are not talking. I saw 6 dentists and 3 doctors (other than my current ALF dentist and CLEAR chiropractor) in 2017 before I figured it out by myself.

I will update after therapies begin in case someone out there is searching for answers. I would feel better if I could help someone else make the connections before it is too late.

AzizTsokiev

#81 Post by AzizTsokiev »

[quote=Linn35 post_id=400424 time=1338401581 user_id=19518]
Hey !

I am living in Sweden in a small town. I visited an orto with my daughter a couple of month ago.
She is suffering of sever crowded teeth in her upper jaw. He said that he had to extract four teeth.
That is what orto do here in Sweden. And then he said that her jawline would reduce.

At home I started to look on the internet and I read about terrible things that can happend .
So I decided to look för a Alf dentist . I found out that their is no one here in Sweden. But I found one in Norway . We have just been visiting him and it will cost us a lot of money.( All dentist care is for free in Sweden for children up to 20 years.)

Anyway I don`t regret it . I am absolutely sure of that this will be the best for her. He didn´t just look on her teeth , also her jaw . Her jaw is cracking and it turns to the left when she is closing her mouth.
And he said that Alf will make this good to. He seemed to be very devoted

And I just told my ordinary dentist about this and he didn´t belive in Alf at all. But I wasn´t expecting anythingelse.

I`m just sorry about that I didn´t know about Alf several years ago.
I do wonder about one thing though, does she need a retainer the rest of her life ? And one more thing
will her face be much wider?

And I don´t understand why it isn´t common with Alf in Sweden . I have phoned a lot of dentist here and they seem to belive that I`m crazy . And said that I shall not belive everything that I read on the internet.
(Sorry for my english)
[/quote]

Hey, i am living in Norway too and can’t find an Orthodontist who does Alf. Do you have a link to the one you visits or do you know which city he is in?

Kalpal

#82 Post by Kalpal »

Hello.
I am in Raleigh NC and I'm looking for one dentist that can do the ALF for my 10 year old daughter. Haven't been successful is finding one.
Could you please provide the name is the dentist you are seeing. Thanks a ton.

[quote=notlot post_id=503627 time=1532531293 user_id=32245]
I am in North Carolina where I have located only one dentist using a palatal expander on adults and it is the ALF. Although most dentists here graduated from UNC Dentistry school and the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area has good doctors, the field of dentistry is 20 years behind.

My palate was ruined by badly placed porcelain veneers in 2007.
Fortunately I have photos of my palate close to that time, when all was normal.
Compared to my current palate photos, it looks like someone beat me with a hammer.

Since that time I have developed a Class II Malocclusion, TMJ and a 25 degree curve in my spine. I noticed that my profile had changed about 5 years ago due to a receding chin. I thought it was aging not knowing that the chin does not recede with age and Class II malocclusions do not develop after childhood.

I can only hope for some improvement. I will never be restored to my normal bone structure which is depressing at times, but at least I am aware and have found professionals who understand the connection and can help.
I try to remember that people are often disfigured by accidents like auto. I am sure that they feel the same way and wish their body to be like it was before the accident, but it is not constructive.

I am working with a chiropractor certified in the CLEAR method. My 2 week CLEAR intensive begins on August 6 after my ALF and TwinBlock are placed on August 1. The two doctors are in touch so that the treatment will coincide.
I really hope that these therapies will help. I was beginning to have problems walking while seeing different dentists for the malocclusion and TMJ. No one checked my spine or asked about movement difficulties and I had no idea it was related. I actually thought I was being lazy about exercise.

I think that there are other people with my same complications stemming from bad dentistry but they are not aware because dentists are not talking. I saw 6 dentists and 3 doctors (other than my current ALF dentist and CLEAR chiropractor) in 2017 before I figured it out by myself.

I will update after therapies begin in case someone out there is searching for answers. I would feel better if I could help someone else make the connections before it is too late.
[/quote]

dannytanner

#83 Post by dannytanner »

has anyone got the alf appliance to reverse extractions, and for osa? did anyone see an improvement in airway and sleep? looking forward to getting the alf but dont know if it is efficient to reverse extractions and for OSA. if anyone is in Louisiana hit me up

Mello

#84 Post by Mello »

For anyone in NC, I had a consultation for the ALF with Heather Ashton. She used to be Darick Nordstrom's lab technician when he first developed the ALF, so she has plenty of experience. She works alongside a dentist in Brevard, NC, and has her own laboratory here in Hendersonville. If you want to contact her you can call or email her at Ashton Laboratory.

Annaphoebe89

#85 Post by Annaphoebe89 »

Hi all,
Does anyone have recommendations for an orthodontist in the UK who offers ALF braces and possibly Myofunctional therapy?

I’m anxious to find somebody who knows what their doing from the cranial perspective as it sounds like the ALF can have quite a significant impact on cranial alignment. Is it necessary to work with a cranial osteopath separately? Any tips would be most welcome!

- I'm a mouth-breather
- My tongue naturally rests on the bottom of mouth
- I have a narrow upper jaw
- I have a cross-bite on right side
- I'm a tongue thruster!

Many thanks,
Anna

lordbarkis666

#86 Post by lordbarkis666 »

Annaphoebe89 wrote:
> Hi all,
> Does anyone have recommendations for an orthodontist in the UK who offers
> ALF braces and possibly Myofunctional therapy?
>
> I’m anxious to find somebody who knows what their doing from the cranial
> perspective as it sounds like the ALF can have quite a significant impact
> on cranial alignment. Is it necessary to work with a cranial osteopath
> separately? Any tips would be most welcome!
>
> - I'm a mouth-breather
> - My tongue naturally rests on the bottom of mouth
> - I have a narrow upper jaw
> - I have a cross-bite on right side
> - I'm a tongue thruster!
>
> Many thanks,
> Anna

Hi Anna. Recommend you try Danny de Villiers in Weybridge. He can offer those treatments but he may well recommend something else after assessing your situation.

KALS

#87 Post by KALS »

- Hello- can you tell me which doctor in North Carolina as I am searching for an ALF provider here.
Thank you
-KS
> I am in North Carolina where I have located only one dentist using a
> palatal expander on adults and it is the ALF. Although most dentists here
> graduated from UNC Dentistry school and the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area
> has good doctors, the field of dentistry is 20 years behind.
>
> My palate was ruined by badly placed porcelain veneers in 2007.
> Fortunately I have photos of my palate close to that time, when all was
> normal.
> Compared to my current palate photos, it looks like someone beat me with a
> hammer.
>
> Since that time I have developed a Class II Malocclusion, TMJ and a 25
> degree curve in my spine. I noticed that my profile had changed about 5
> years ago due to a receding chin. I thought it was aging not knowing that
> the chin does not recede with age and Class II malocclusions do not develop
> after childhood.
>
> I can only hope for some improvement. I will never be restored to my normal
> bone structure which is depressing at times, but at least I am aware and
> have found professionals who understand the connection and can help.
> I try to remember that people are often disfigured by accidents like auto.
> I am sure that they feel the same way and wish their body to be like it was
> before the accident, but it is not constructive.
>
> I am working with a chiropractor certified in the CLEAR method. My 2 week
> CLEAR intensive begins on August 6 after my ALF and TwinBlock are placed on
> August 1. The two doctors are in touch so that the treatment will coincide.
> I really hope that these therapies will help. I was beginning to have
> problems walking while seeing different dentists for the malocclusion and
> TMJ. No one checked my spine or asked about movement difficulties and I had
> no idea it was related. I actually thought I was being lazy about exercise.
>
> I think that there are other people with my same complications stemming
> from bad dentistry but they are not aware because dentists are not talking.
> I saw 6 dentists and 3 doctors (other than my current ALF dentist and CLEAR
> chiropractor) in 2017 before I figured it out by myself.
>
> I will update after therapies begin in case someone out there is searching
> for

Matthew

#88 Post by Matthew »

jamone wrote:
> I know a dentist that does ALF in the UK in the Midlands area. I went to
> see him and he did a treatment plan for me. I didn't go through with it
> though. If anyone wants the contact details then contact me and I will
> happily send them to you. I would normally just put his name here but
> apparently I did something wrong recently by mentioning an orthos name (son
> of Jon-Mike M)in a thread I started where I was asking for if people have
> had any treatment/experiences with him and the name auto flagged spam?!! I
> only joined this forum a couple of days ago so I don't get what I did wrong
> in mentioning an orthos name. Other people have according to the search
> results! I couldn't even edit my post either to remove the name. Next thing
> I know the admins deleted profile and thread. Completely over the top and
> uncalled for.

Hey would be great if you could send me through the contact details of this dentist, thanks!

JenniferB

#89 Post by JenniferB »

Mello or anyone- How was treatment with Ashton’s?
Is there anyone with experience working with Heather Ashton in Brevard NC?

Mello wrote:
> For anyone in NC, I had a consultation for the ALF with Heather Ashton. She
> used to be Darick Nordstrom's lab technician when he first developed the
> ALF, so she has plenty of experience. She works alongside a dentist in
> Brevard, NC, and has her own laboratory here in Hendersonville. If you want
> to contact her you can call or email her at Ashton Laboratory.

abcdefghi

#90 Post by abcdefghi »

has anyone had a nance button and if they have, did u get ur teeth taken out before or after the button