Elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mandla

Elastics

#1 Post by mandla »

Today for the first time my Orthodontist placed elastic from my premolars to my canines both sides. I am in pain especially in my right hand side. Eating is difficult . I thought that elastics comes when all gaps are closed. I still have big gaps between canines and 4 front teeth on both sides. Is it normal to use braces at this stage?

Mpkh

Re: Elastics

#2 Post by Mpkh »

I've had elastics since day 1. Elastics use varies on the treatment and what needs to be done. Elastics are a pain but wear them as prescribed and you may shave time off your treatment! Take them out till when you eat.

Good luck!
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca

Beckett

#3 Post by Beckett »

I got elastics at my first 6 week appointment and have worn them in some configuration or another for my entire treatment. Wear them as directed and in a couple of days they shouldn't hurt as much. I was advised to remove them for eating, you could probably do the same as long as you put them back in as soon as you are done and have brushed. I don't even think I could eat with them in, I've got triangles right now and they're sort of in the way up front. It's even difficult to drink from a glass. My water cup in my fridge has a straw.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

mandla

#4 Post by mandla »

Mpkh wrote:I've had elastics since day 1. Elastics use varies on the treatment and what needs to be done. Elastics are a pain but wear them as prescribed and you may shave time off your treatment! Take them out till when you eat.

Good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement

mandla

#5 Post by mandla »

Beckett wrote:I got elastics at my first 6 week appointment and have worn them in some configuration or another for my entire treatment. Wear them as directed and in a couple of days they shouldn't hurt as much. I was advised to remove them for eating, you could probably do the same as long as you put them back in as soon as you are done and have brushed. I don't even think I could eat with them in, I've got triangles right now and they're sort of in the way up front. It's even difficult to drink from a glass. My water cup in my fridge has a straw.
Thank you for your response. it's comforting that in a few days it won't hurt as much and would be able to eat

djspeece

#6 Post by djspeece »

I foolishly thought I could get away without elastics, since they were not applied when I was braced. At the next appointment I was brought back to reality, and wore them for the entire three years of treatment. I am not a fan, but as others have pointed out they are a necessary evil. Best of luck to you and hang in there!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

tiger15

#7 Post by tiger15 »

hi,
i got my elastics at the 3. adjustmet of my braces :-)
i have to wear them from my upper canines to my lower molars for 24 hours.

sacktheqb65

#8 Post by sacktheqb65 »

I kind of want elastics, at least short term. I figure if I'm going to have braces I might as well have the whole experience!!! :tingrin:
:tingrin: :tingrin: :tingrin: :tingrin: :tingrin:

ProudMama1015

#9 Post by ProudMama1015 »

sacktheqb65 wrote:I kind of want elastics, at least short term. I figure if I'm going to have braces I might as well have the whole experience!!! :tingrin:
I feel the exact same way. lol I guess we shall see what happens. lol :lol:

sacktheqb65

#10 Post by sacktheqb65 »

Well I got my wish... had my consult today and went ahead and got wired up and now i need elastics for the whole time in braces starting today. 16-20 months. Be careful what you wish for, right?!?!?!
:tingrin: :tingrin: :tingrin: :tingrin: :tingrin: