frenectomy

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mandla

frenectomy

#1 Post by mandla »

I have diastema and in braces for 17 months. It's only two weeks now with braces. I was told by the Orthodontist that once my front gap is closed they will do frenectomy surgery. Anyone who went through the operation? What's your experience?

lmk

Re: frenectomy

#2 Post by lmk »

My daughter had a frenectomy before her braces were put on. It was done with a laser and was finished within seconds. I recall her being sore in the area for the remainder of the day but not bad at all. It was a fairly quick thing.

mandla

#3 Post by mandla »

Thanks Imk, I wonder why the Orthodontist want to do it only once the gap is closed in my case. I will ask him that question when we meet nextweek. I would think is best to do it before braces because it is the frenecto that is pushing my teeth apart .

mandla

#4 Post by mandla »

my front gap is now closed and my frenum is more visible. My Orthodontist now says it is not necessary to do the frenectomy. He said the frenum will redistribute but still few months later it is still very much visible and the Dr is not bordered. Should I be worried by this frenum?

FlyByNight

#5 Post by FlyByNight »

mandla wrote:my front gap is now closed and my frenum is more visible. My Orthodontist now says it is not necessary to do the frenectomy. He said the frenum will redistribute but still few months later it is still very much visible and the Dr is not bordered. Should I be worried by this frenum?
I'm in the exact same position as you. My ortho said they would do a frenectomy but he said at the end of treatment it wasn't necessary. I still think my gums look sort of squished in that spot and my gap is slightly open near the gums.

mandla

#6 Post by mandla »

I think I will insist that the frenum be removed. I also still have a tiny gap towards the gum and my Dr says but it's not visible.