Coffee lover

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Anerol

Coffee lover

#1 Post by Anerol »

Any tips /tricks for a fellow coffee lover?

I recently got my traditional braces. My orthodontist gave me a list of things I can/can't eat or drink but coffee wasn't on the list. However, I'm worried about staining. I have about half a cup of coffee whenever I'm at school or work (~5x a week).

FlowerPower

Re: Coffee lover

#2 Post by FlowerPower »

Metal or Ceramic?

Metal doesn't really stain but if you like coffee and you must have it, brush after every cup or if that's not available then rinse your mouth out with water or drink a cup after coffee.

26inbraces

#3 Post by 26inbraces »

I drink coffee every morning and just brush my teeth after.

LisaK

#4 Post by LisaK »

I drink one cup every morning. I rinse my mouth if I cant brush them if Im out and about. I have the clear ceramic braces. I did read to cut down on staining with drinks, is to eat with a straw. So thats what Ive been trying to do also

SinkFullOfDinner

#5 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

I'm not suggesting that everyone do this, but I have a life hack that works for me. I love coffee. I love red wine. I love curries and chai masala. And this process just takes too damn long to make it worse by cutting back on the things I love. I also hate yellow ligs, so if they get discolored or I have a long interval between appts, I change the ones that are visible. That's it. It's not terribly hard to do, and my ortho trusted me to do it if needed and gave me a few strips of clear ligatures. Maybe yours will too if asked. If not, you can always go on the down low. It helps if you pick up an inexpensive locking forceps at the pharmacy/chemist. So, I eat and drink and swap out when necessary. Problem solved.

BlondeCam

#6 Post by BlondeCam »

I'd love to do this but am afraid to try :-*

kcjawjourney

#7 Post by kcjawjourney »

I have clear, ceramic braces and I use a metal straw (available on Amazon) to drink coffee (hot and cold). Same thing with red wine. Even with the straw, I still swish with water after finishing. My dentist told me not to brush immediately after drinking coffee, as it actually speeds up the acidic erosion of enamel. It's best to use water first, let your saliva neutralize the acid, and THEN brush.

nightowl12

#8 Post by nightowl12 »

I too am a coffee drinker! When (and if) you need powerchains, choose a darker color - lighter colors tend to stain more easily (lesson learned after I had a pale blue powerchain - never again!).

Smiffy

#9 Post by Smiffy »

i like coffee and tea. cup of tea in the morning and anoon is must. i bought a koffee straw off of amazon which is silicone to avoid or reduce staining. i immediately rinse with water afterwards and if poss brush once acidic levels have lowered

Ziggy

#10 Post by Ziggy »

I have ceramics on top and have had no problem with staining the past 14 months -- and I love coffee. That said, ligatures, which I don't have, will stain, as will power chains, which I do have. Nobody seems to notice the power chains changing color. Now, if your TEETH start to stain that's a different matter.