How soon should I see changes? I'm not feeling any pain and wondering if the braces are working...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MissLou

How soon should I see changes? I'm not feeling any pain and wondering if the braces are working...

#1 Post by MissLou »

I had my Damon Clear braces fitted early on Friday morning. I was told by the orthodontist that I would likely experience a fair bit of pain at this first stage in treatment. She also said teeth move a lot in the first few weeks. Since Friday I've barely felt a thing! A very slight ache on the first day and nothing since. I've been able to eat pretty much normally. Even the brackets haven't irritated my mouth much yet.

Shouldn't I be feeling something? Does no pain/ache mean that it's not working?

djspeece

Re: How soon should I see changes? I'm not feeling any pain and wondering if the braces are working...

#2 Post by djspeece »

The techs at my ortho's were always doom and gloom about all the pain that I would be having with the larger wire, new power chains, elastics, closing coil, and so forth. I think they meant well but like you it was more annoying than anything, not true pain. The early wires are quite benign and you won't see a lot of change. In fact, I felt more change using my tongue, noticing improved alignment of my teeth around my arches. But nothing visually dramatic.
Not sure if powerchains or elastics are in your future, but they could add some adventure for you. You'll look back at this post and think, "Ah, those were the good old days" :wink: . Again, not really painful, more like annoying. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

MissLou

Re: How soon should I see changes? I'm not feeling any pain and wondering if the braces are working...

#3 Post by MissLou »

djspeece wrote:The techs at my ortho's were always doom and gloom about all the pain that I would be having with the larger wire, new power chains, elastics, closing coil, and so forth. I think they meant well but like you it was more annoying than anything, not true pain. The early wires are quite benign and you won't see a lot of change. In fact, I felt more change using my tongue, noticing improved alignment of my teeth around my arches. But nothing visually dramatic.
Not sure if powerchains or elastics are in your future, but they could add some adventure for you. You'll look back at this post and think, "Ah, those were the good old days" :wink: . Again, not really painful, more like annoying. Best of luck to you!
That's reassuring and I'm glad I have lots of potential fun/pain to look forward to. :wink: I think I'm going to have elastics about halfway through, just to wear evenings and when sleeping I believe. No idea about powerchains, they haven't been mentioned (yet).

verso

#4 Post by verso »

I felt virtually no discomfort at all and thought the same thing, but trust me, they're working. You also have to keep in mind that the changes happen so slowly, the process so gradual, that you're unlikely to notice much of anything until you go in for an adjustment and they pull up pictures of your teeth from the consultation visit.

For me, I was also looking every day at my bottom teeth because those are the teeth that are most crooked. I forgot all about the top teeth really. I realized one day that the wire on the top teeth was nearly straight, and I couldn't believe I hadn't noticed it before. Orthodontics is amazing.

MissLou

#5 Post by MissLou »

That's good to hear Verso. Since yesterday I've been feeling a bit of tenderness on the right side of my jaw and a pulling sensation on my two front teeth, so I've started to believe it's working! My bottom teeth are the worst part of my smile, they are SO crooked. I will be amazed if the orthodontist manages to get them straight without removing any of them.

LisainTX

#7 Post by LisainTX »

I was the same.....barely any pain for months. But just wait and hang in there because soon you'll start to see things. It is amazing and inspiring!
I have taken pictures every week and I look at them all the time for inspiration.
Let me see if I can add pictures for you....
I take pics from the front (like I have tried to post here if it works) but I also open my mouth and take pics of the upper teeth and the lower teeth. That is where I saw the rapid change -they all lined up really nice! After that they began to be pulled back. Its weirdly fascinating. LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LisainTX

#8 Post by LisainTX »

OMG....could those pics BE any bigger?!?! Sorry!!

MissLou

#9 Post by MissLou »

Thanks to all of you for the reassurance! I'm going to take photos weekly so that I can hopefully see progress over time. If I can see things progressing then this unpleasant "journey" might be a bit easier (sorry for the pessimism, I'm feeling a bit low today).

MissLou

#10 Post by MissLou »

I have noticed a change in my teeth!!!!! :jump: :jump: :jump:

It's actually an unexpected change - I had a receding gum on one of my canines (apparently from over zealous brushing) and it's remained the same for the last few years. Yesterday I noticed that it's gone! The braces have somehow pushed that tooth back up into the gum... I didn't even know that braces could push teeth vertically, so there you go! I'm really pleased :)

SingleJawMelb

#11 Post by SingleJawMelb »

MissLou wrote:I have noticed a change in my teeth!!!!! :jump: :jump: :jump:

It's actually an unexpected change - I had a receding gum on one of my canines (apparently from over zealous brushing) and it's remained the same for the last few years. Yesterday I noticed that it's gone! The braces have somehow pushed that tooth back up into the gum... I didn't even know that braces could push teeth vertically, so there you go! I'm really pleased :)
That's great news. I had/have the gym thing as well.
With fixed braces your teeth can be moved in every possible position.

MissLou

#12 Post by MissLou »

SingleJawMelb wrote:

Orthodontic treatment is mind blowing!

Blurple

#13 Post by Blurple »

Great news :)

SingleJawMelb

#14 Post by SingleJawMelb »

MissLou wrote:
SingleJawMelb wrote:

Orthodontic treatment is mind blowing!
I'm not sure if it's due to ortho treatment.

friendlyturtle

#15 Post by friendlyturtle »

Suprisingly I haven't had any pain in the last couple of weeks either; but, my smile has improved dramatically! I wonder how long this serenity will last :lol: