Mouth Soreness

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CountingStars

Mouth Soreness

#1 Post by CountingStars »

Two days ago I had braces put in... ceramic upper/lower-excluding metal brackets for the back few teeth. It's somewhat painful to eat anything - chewing particularly hurts. In your experience, when does the initial pain after getting braces subsides? Will eating always be this difficult? I dread eating :( which is kinda a good thing because I could use a few pounds lol! Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

megz0501

Re: Mouth Soreness

#2 Post by megz0501 »

The pain and the feeling of how weird it eats will go away. Eat soft stuff. Mashed potatoes, sherbert, that kind of stuff for a few days and I took advil to help. It definately takes some getting used to.

laulafayette

#3 Post by laulafayette »

I had my braces on 10/8 and like you my mouth feels really sore and couldn't chew anything. But after five days I was able to chew for a bit and today I feel a lot better just for the sixth day. Mouth still feels sore and teeth hurts cuz they are continuously moving but I got used to it now I guess. Just A lot better. :) I hope you get better soon too!

LisainTX

#4 Post by LisainTX »

I can't say this enough.....IT GETS BETTER. And keep coming here. These people are extremely helpful with their experiences. They have kept me sane for about 7 months so far!! Good Luck!!

Catpotat

#5 Post by Catpotat »

LisainTX wrote:I can't say this enough.....IT GETS BETTER. And keep coming here. These people are extremely helpful with their experiences. They have kept me sane for about 7 months so far!! Good Luck!!
I second this. Don't even try to chew anything too tough, you will end up spitting it out in frustration. But do not worry, 2-3 months later you will be tearing into burgers and enjoying food again to your full potential :D It doesn't seem like it right now but you will get there and it will be glorious!

friendlyturtle

#6 Post by friendlyturtle »

My first few days were also quite painful, but after the first month everything feels much more comfortable! I use to have a (not so) great time eating anything, but cutting stuff into smaller pieces really does help!

Ziggy

#7 Post by Ziggy »

It does get better and you won't starve. I used a lot of dental wax the first month and haven't used any since.

ItsNever2Late

#8 Post by ItsNever2Late »

You are my ortho treatment twin!! I was fitted on 10.18.16 and I have seriously had thoughts of having them removed. The pain from the braces and then the mouth sores from brackets breaking skin has me a bit gloomy. Actually a lot gloomy. Eating is something I now dread and I can lose several pounds as well but I don't want a soup diet for the next 15 months. I'm stalking this thread for hope and motivation. Hope you get plenty of it. And I pray it gets better for the both of us. I have found wax to be my best friend. And my waterpik has surprisingly helped massage my gums and get rid of some of the soreness. I guess from the increased blood flow.

petebite

#9 Post by petebite »

It gets better, remember to eat soft foods for about 2-3 days after each adjustment and you will be fine. Soon you won't even know they're on there :)

Bracingmyself33

#10 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

It took me around 2 weeks to resign to my fate, or rather get used to braces. Eating was a complete shock for me then! But you will manage to work things around.

Soreness for 2-3 days after adjustment is pretty common. So equip yourself with soft diet... Porridge, soup, cakes and bread are pretty braces friendly.

You'll get used to eating before you know it! :BigTeethGrin:

littlething

#11 Post by littlething »

It probably took about 2 weeks to really get used to them, but that first week was ROUGH. It definitely gets better though! Eating is still annoying but you get used to it.

annamariefranco

#12 Post by annamariefranco »

The first two weeks were the worst for me. I was in tears at one point because of the pain but mainly hunger because I couldn't eat LOL. But it really does get better. Ice cold water was the only way I felt relief.