The worst part of having braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tyrantblade

The worst part of having braces

#1 Post by Tyrantblade »

What would you say is the worst part, has your opinion changed, does it keep changing?

My opinion on the worst part has changed several times, at first braces felt weird and I hated how uncomfortable biting things and eating was, mainly due to bite turbos/bite blocks.

Then eventually those weren't too bad as my bite got close to corrected enough to be done with those (when they didn't rebuild them, and the next appointment they removed them).

Then I started being elastics.

Now I still thinks it's elastics, but I also get so annoyed if I look at my teeth too much (noticing how uneven they look after minor changes have been happening).

If I'm lucky I will at least be back to taking a day time break from elastics after my next adjustment (which I found out is next month, better than December)
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

StephMarie8379

Re: The worst part of having braces

#2 Post by StephMarie8379 »

I am on day two of my 18 monthe sentence. I have biters blocks and they can interfere with a lot. I can't chew so I can only tonguse all my food. And two brackets are so close together I can floss. AND I haven't even gone to my first adjustment yet...can't wait.

braces25

#3 Post by braces25 »

in the beginning it was definitely my bite blocks but lately it's the eyelit that is bonded to my exposed canine. it keeps rubbing my lip raw since a part is bended outwards.

Ziggy

#4 Post by Ziggy »

I think every time they stick something new in your mouth THAT'S the worst thing.

carrieann

#5 Post by carrieann »

Worst is the horrible cuts or sores inside your cheeks. Oh my, they hurt and nothing really helps except time, in my case. I thought I was done with those after 6 months but nope had one last week.

Class I bite, Crowding, Ant/Post Crossbite Tendency
18-20 months
Damon ceramic upper, metal lower

jaime

#6 Post by jaime »

For me, it's a tie between eating with braces and being poked by brackets, wires, and hooks all the time.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

nicolie825

#7 Post by nicolie825 »

The worst part for me were the 2 or 3 occassions I had a poking wire. The thing i hated the most about braces though was cleaning my mouth after every single time I ate something

LisainTX

#8 Post by LisainTX »

I agree that at first it was the bite blocks. Then elastics. Now I think it is that every time they adjust, my bite changes again and it is uncomfortable for awhile.
I had some kind of wire fall off when I was brushing my teeth this week. It wasn't an archwire but something about an inch and a half long with a L at the end. So I call and since they are awesome they get me right in on my way to work - wooohoooo!! Not an issue....its an easy fix! But guess what?? SInce you're here, lets go ahead and do everything we were going to do on the 25th!!
Lort. They put twice the hardware in my mouth and for the first time, it hurt for days afterwards. The elastics are heavier and pulling teeth back making all kinds of spaces. I am at an awkward stage of treatment, I believe. Glad it is Halloween time since I am starting to look like a jack-o-lantern.
But I know in the end its going to be worth all of this!!!