How to avoid chaos when using waterpik?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Welshrarebit

How to avoid chaos when using waterpik?

#1 Post by Welshrarebit »

I still don't seem to have got to grips with using my waterpik!

If I try to keep my mouth open to see what I'm doing, water goes EVERYWHERE and all over the mirror so I can't see a thing anyway!

If I keep it closed, I move it round my mouth from left to right, top and bottom, but is this all there is to it? I ask because I've never seen any gunk come out, although I do brush my teeth first so maybe that's why...
I
Waterpik then brush or brush then Waterpik?

Help!

Mimo1985

Re: How to avoid chaos when using waterpik?

#2 Post by Mimo1985 »

Ive only had braces for 2 weeks and only just bought my waterpik 2 weeks ago so Im not amazing with it by any means.. but...
that being said - yes, that is all there is to it.

It might help to slowly guide the pik in between the teeth to where the gum lines are. That should get out some gunk on a strong setting (unless your gums are sore - then use the low setting).
I sort of tilt my head down and guide along the teeth, spending maybe 20 seconds in each crevice - if that makes sense.
Hope that helps!
Eventually youll get the hang out of it and youll just "feel" where the right places to guide the nozzle are.
Start Date: May 10 2016
Removal Date: Dec 10 2016
Anterior Crossbite
Anterior Openbite 2mm

djspeece

#3 Post by djspeece »

It sounds as though you are looking into the mirror as you use the waterpik, and in that case chaos is inevitable. I bent over the sink with my mouth just opened just slightly, and as welshrarebit described, direct the spray along the archwire, spraying down and up, and also directing the spray carefully between the teeth. You probably shouldn't "aim" at the gum line itself, as some here have indicated it may force debris into places where it does not belong. Plus it can be painful. I used the waterpik before brushing, as many of the foods I enjoy are "debris-intensive." In a sick sort of way I enjoyed watching that gunk fly out of my mouth and down the drain. It was sort of like an orthodontic harvest or something.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

nightowl12

#4 Post by nightowl12 »

Thanks for the tips - I too was wondering how to use a Waterpik without the spraying effect all over the bathroom mirror. I guess practice makes perfect!

nightowl12

#5 Post by nightowl12 »

That said...in addition to using the waterpik, I'm still flossing but I'm afraid to floss my back molars where the metal bands are. Should I be worried about loosening them as I floss? Everything still feels a bit weird/new back there so I'm a bit afraid. Sorry to double post in a row, just thought of this question.

Ziggy

#6 Post by Ziggy »

I also learned to do it by feel. I just learned to press the waterpik against the right spots for a second and move on to the next spot. Once I get the "flossing" done I use the waterpick all over the brackets and wires. I keep my head down and my mouth open just a little. Another method is to keep your lips closed and let the water out when your mouth fills up. Only downside to my method is sometimes the water runs down my arm and wets my sleeve. I'm learning to roll my sleeves up. :idea: If you're still having trouble YouTube has some videos on Waterpiking.

TheWolf

#7 Post by TheWolf »

I waterpick then brush, never did the other way. I know that flossing first then brushing vs. brushing first then flossing doesn't matter, so I guess the same principle applies here too, but for me waterpicking first seems more logical since it removes all the food, then brushing is more for a fresh sensation and to protect the teeth enamel. As for how to use the waterpicker, you can find videos on YouTube. Practically, I know you have to waterpick at the gum line and in between the teeth, especially where the brush can't reach, which for me is in between my molars at the gum line and wisdom teeth.

jfriend33

#8 Post by jfriend33 »

Whatever you do make sure you adjust the pressure and use the correct tips. I have almost injured myself going at max pressure that I use to dislodge food from around braces, and continued to the gum line... OUCH!

I also prefer to use the power switch in between sections instead of hitting the pause button. I find that my pause button jams easily. And it's a brand name waterpik too.

occamsblazer

#9 Post by occamsblazer »

jfriend33 wrote:Whatever you do make sure you adjust the pressure and use the correct tips. I have almost injured myself going at max pressure that I use to dislodge food from around braces, and continued to the gum line... OUCH!

I also prefer to use the power switch in between sections instead of hitting the pause button. I find that my pause button jams easily. And it's a brand name waterpik too.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one this happens to, I always seem to have to bash mine gently against the side of the sink to get it unstuck! I should really have sent it back to Amazon but I couldn't deal with the faff and not having a waterpik at all!

carrieann

#10 Post by carrieann »

occamsblazer wrote:
jfriend33 wrote:Whatever you do make sure you adjust the pressure and use the correct tips. I have almost injured myself going at max pressure that I use to dislodge food from around braces, and continued to the gum line... OUCH!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one this happens to, I always seem to have to bash mine gently against the side of the sink to get it unstuck! I should really have sent it back to Amazon but I couldn't deal with the faff and not having a waterpik at all!
Me too! It jams on pause so I don't use pause anymore it just creates more of a mess. Love my Waterpick though! Not sure how I survived before. Now I want one one for work after lunch.

Class I bite, Crowding, Ant/Post Crossbite Tendency
18-20 months
Damon ceramic upper, metal lower

EWUgal15

#11 Post by EWUgal15 »

nightowl12 wrote:That said...in addition to using the waterpik, I'm still flossing but I'm afraid to floss my back molars where the metal bands are. Should I be worried about loosening them as I floss? Everything still feels a bit weird/new back there so I'm a bit afraid. Sorry to double post in a row, just thought of this question.
It's highly unlikely you will loosen a molar band by flossing. You probably couldn't see it when the bands were put in, but the tech/orthodontist will have put glue all the way around the inside of the band (the surfaces that would be making contact with your teeth). If you can break the cement bond by flossing, I've got to know how much time you put into body building and what kind of floss you're using.

Welshrarebit

#12 Post by Welshrarebit »

Thanks for all your comments! I've finally got the hang of it. No more chaos. Only thing is... I don't really think it's doing anything. I don't use it immediately after eating - I use it at home in the morning and again before bed. So I never see food or anything being flushed out.

What do you guys get out of using this?

Pixelada

#13 Post by Pixelada »

You should use it right after eating and you will see lots of food coming out.

bez

#14 Post by bez »

I waterpik for about 30 seconds just to get the food out right after eating, then brush, then waterpik again until the reservoir is empty.