Did Bite blockers speed up your treatment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mandla

Did Bite blockers speed up your treatment?

#1 Post by mandla »

Last week my Ortho placed my bottom brackets. And decided to also place two bite blockers on my lower back molars each side. Apparently these are placed to speed up teeth movement and as a result speed up the whole treatment. Did it work to speed up your treatment?

WonkyIncisor

Re: Did Bite blockers speed up your treatment?

#2 Post by WonkyIncisor »

I was told mine were put on to prevent me from hitting the bracket on my wonky incisor. Once my incisor is in front oh my lower teeth then my biters come off.

ITALIANNYC

#3 Post by ITALIANNYC »

Bite blockers just stop your brackets from hitting each other when you bite down. That way it doesn't knock off a bracket. Never heard of it speeding up treatment.

sizzletasticlily

#4 Post by sizzletasticlily »

I had a deep bite and with rubber bands and those nasty pink build ups I am almost out of them in a year. Only one tooth giving problems now. They suck I just got them off.

Ziggy

#5 Post by Ziggy »

I've got those molar buildups and hate them. I was told by creating space between my molars it would give my molars a chance to protrude opening up my bite. My teeth will keep growing? I don't get it but I hear it works.

joshua2016

#6 Post by joshua2016 »

Apologies if this has already been posted on here. But are the bite blockers kept on throughout the whole time I'll have my braces on?

DrJasonKTam

#7 Post by DrJasonKTam »

They help speed up treatment in that you can have your top and bottom braces on at the same time with a deep bite, and less likely that you will break off a lower bracket, which would slow down treatment.

Generally, they are left on as long as needed to prevent the upper teeth from hitting the lower brackets. When the top and bottom teeth are far enough apart from each other (opening the bite), they are no longer needed. Hope that helps!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

mandla

#8 Post by mandla »

DrJasonKTam wrote:They help speed up treatment in that you can have your top and bottom braces on at the same time with a deep bite, and less likely that you will break off a lower bracket, which would slow down treatment.

Generally, they are left on as long as needed to prevent the upper teeth from hitting the lower brackets. When the top and bottom teeth are far enough apart from each other (opening the bite), they are no longer needed. Hope that helps!
Thanks Doc and everyone who responded. Hope they will be removed the next appointment. Bite blockers are making it even harder for me to eat.

WonkyIncisor

#9 Post by WonkyIncisor »

My biters with a power chain are making my life hell. My bottom power chain will come off on Monday, but I'm stuck with my biters for another few months.