Food - what are you eating (or not)?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

40withbracesUK

Food - what are you eating (or not)?

#1 Post by 40withbracesUK »

So I've been in Damon braces for about 4 weeks now and slowly getting the hang of what I can and can't eat; especially in public...

At home its easy enough to retreat to the bathroom for a wee clean-up with the old Water Pik (my bessie mate). However in public its a different story all together. One awful recent experience involving a ham sandwich and work colleagues in the canteen sticks out in particular, with me trying to hide all the gunk in my teeth by mumbling behind a tea cup! I'm rather dreading any suggestions for a team lunch in a more salubrious establishment!

What are you finding impossible to get your brackets around and would recommend for desk-based lunches or public consumption?

Clean Foods
Porridge
Rice cakes
Noodles
Soup
Baked potato

Messy No No
Sandwich
Brownies
Cornflakes
Anything with rice

ChewyBacca

Re: Food - what are you eating (or not)?

#2 Post by ChewyBacca »

Clean Foods
Protein shake
Boiled eggs (:FeelSick: for the rest of the office)
Scrambled eggs
Mashed potato
Banana

Messy No No
Cheese toastie
Bread generally

NeilH

#3 Post by NeilH »

Don't worry, you will soon find that you can pretty much eat anything with very little evidence left afterwards. I also found it useful to have a glass of water whilst eating.

scopus

#4 Post by scopus »

i thought going into this thread was going to be what you cant eat because of pain, which imo is a valid reason not so much if its messy. i think best to enjoy whatever you want,screw what other people think and most likely noone is noticing but you, the more you try to cover up the more awkward you will look. As far as keeping it clean while eating swish water in ur mouth and swallow every now and then, and to get rid of chunks that cant get out that way, after eating take a trip to the bathroom with an interdental brush, which i find very effective.

jfriend33

#5 Post by jfriend33 »

Eat fast and excuse yourself to the bathroom. Use a proxabrush if you don't have a portable water flosser.

Heavy rinsing can also help but I have survived thanks to plackers angled brushes.

I am not eating any candy. I also stopped drinking caramel machiattos and transitioned from splenda to splenda stevia mix then straight stevia in my coffee with heavy cream. I will continue this after debonding.

I don't have any pain, I feel like my high motivation has altered my perception of pain. In fact I'm only in discomfort for a day or two post adjustment. This isn't anything like it was 20 yrs ago.

Beef Jerky I do eat and just run it through a food processor for a bit to make it edible lol.

How can u guys not eat rice?! That's the easiest to clean for me!

Gerbera

#6 Post by Gerbera »

Hi,

I eat anything. Things like bread do get stuck, but it's nothing a swish of water won't sort out.

kip

#7 Post by kip »

I'm eating pretty much everything after nearly 3 weeks braced apart from super sticky and super hard things. As long as things are in small pieces and I don't have to use my front teeth then I'm fine!

I do find eating rice and fish immensely irritating as it lines my braces and I find it uncomfortable to eat. It's annoying because fish is my main protein source as I'm not a big meat eater!

I chose poorly on my first public eating experience recently with braces too and very much regretted ham hock pasta. It took 10 minutes in the restaurant bathroom to unhook all the ham hock from around my brackets!

scopus

#8 Post by scopus »

kip wrote:I'm eating pretty much everything after nearly 3 weeks braced apart from super sticky and super hard things. As long as things are in small pieces and I don't have to use my front teeth then I'm fine!

I do find eating rice and fish immensely irritating as it lines my braces and I find it uncomfortable to eat. It's annoying because fish is my main protein source as I'm not a big meat eater!

I chose poorly on my first public eating experience recently with braces too and very much regretted ham hock pasta. It took 10 minutes in the restaurant bathroom to unhook all the ham hock from around my brackets!
interesting, i find fish one of the easiest things to eat as dont really need to chew it. most soft foods like fish just stick in the back of my mouth and sort of squash it. Rice can def get annoying though getting stuck everywhere. a month or so in can finally start to eat most things pain free, except the real hard stuff, and ofcorse popcorn ah i miss!

mandla

#9 Post by mandla »

I eat lots of porridge, rice, pap, chicken livers, salmon, pumpkin and mash potatoes. I like spinach but leaves gets stuked in the wires.

jaime

#10 Post by jaime »

After a few weeks to a few months, you'll be able to eat most things just fine. I don't know what happens, but one day I realized food didn't really get stuck anymore for me.

I do find that spinach and rice are the worst, as well as bread. But I always have water when I eat and a few swishes dislodges most food.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

Lucyinthesky

#11 Post by Lucyinthesky »

For the first few days I stuck to soft foods like potato and eggs because of the pain and i was afraid of knocking the brackets off (soon realised how sturdy they are!) but after a few weeks I was able to eat pretty much anything.