Brands of metallic brackets

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rachelb

Brands of metallic brackets

#1 Post by rachelb »

Hey everyone! A friend of mine is thinking of getting full metal braces, but there's a wide selection of brands to choose from.
Could you please tell me about your metals? What brand are you using, how comfortable they are and if you are satisfied with the results? :tingrin:

ItsFreyja

Re: Brands of metallic brackets

#2 Post by ItsFreyja »

I'm not sure this is the most helpful question for your friend to be asking.... The best brand of braces for you is the one your preferred orthodontist recommends. The skill of the orthodontist is much more important than the minor variations among bracket brands.

That said, to answer the question, I have Ormco Twins, which are about as basic/classic as it gets. Some people prefer fancier self-ligating brackets (there are many similar brands of them) but my ortho likes working with the Twins and they are inexpensive. They are comfortable enough (I can't imagine there is a big variation in this among brands) and my treatment is right on track.

sirwired

#3 Post by sirwired »

Pick your ortho, not a brand of brackets. There are few significant differences to the patient between bracket brands. You may be asked to choose between ceramic and metal, and you may be offered self-ligating vs. conventional. All four types are sold by the major suppliers.

kelly88

#4 Post by kelly88 »

Mine are 3M Unitek Victory Series. I think they're supposed to be slightly smaller but I had braces before and they don't seem that much smaller. I only got them on yesterday but the brackets feel comfortable enough so far.

As the others said, though, it is better to pick the orthodontist based on their skills rather than the brackets they use I think.

metalliKa

#5 Post by metalliKa »

You know, I don't know what bracket brand I have. And the brand or type is insignificant to me. The expertise of my ortho is what sold me about him. He showed me cases after cases of his actual patients and I have to say, his work is impressive! I trust him to use the appliance that best works for me and so far, my treatment is moving along quite nicely.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554