Premolar extractions (how did your face change)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

diegorgeous

Premolar extractions (how did your face change)

#1 Post by diegorgeous »

Hey ladies,
For those of you that had premolar extractions could you please state if it was your first/second premolars and top/bottom and also pls tell me how your face changed?? in terms of length, width , your chin, your cheekbones, did your nose look bigger or more pointy, your profile?? Do you think this change made you look better? younger/older etc
I'm getting all 4 first premolars taken out and i'm wondering what to expect. . I actually have bimaxilliary protrusion and things need to go back and i'm wondering how my face will change?? i'm sure i'll look better but it'll be nice to have an idea of what to expect . :lol:

Thanks a lot

Lynette

Re: Premolar extractions (how did your face change)

#2 Post by Lynette »

I had 2 first premolars taken out on top and 2 on the bottom along with 1 bottom front tooth. I guess it made my face look slimmer in a good way? The only thing I didn't like was that my last ortho brought my teeth so far back and my smile ended up being not as wide as I would've liked.

My current ortho brought everything a little bit further out, so now my top lip has more definition and doesn't look so flat. He also brought my bottom teeth a little further out, so my chin is a little bit more further out. I like how everything looks now.

Some people don't mind how their face looks after extractions and some do. I think the ortho has to get the balance just right. You will have to wait and see how it goes.

Good luck with your extractions and braces treatment :)

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

diegorgeous

#3 Post by diegorgeous »

Thanks for your reply!! I am hoping that may face gets slightly slimmer/narrower....i have nice cheek bones that i dont want to lose though :lol: . If anything, i want more cheekbones.
I guess it is good i have lingual braces. That way i can actually see how my face looks and if anthing is starting to not look right the ortho knows when to stop.

thanks for your reply though!! hoping for more :HugeGrin:

tashay1985

#4 Post by tashay1985 »

before i ever got braces my cheeks looked kinda big. I had 2 premolar extractions my 1st premolar on one side and the 2nd premolar removed on the opposite side, and all 4 wisdom teeth as well. I have been told by family that hasn't seen me since before i got the braces and teeth removed that my face looks so much slimmer! I love that because besides having crooked teeth and puffy cheeks my face is also very round and now it is much more defined like my sisters (who was blessed with perfect teeth :/ ) good luck with your extractions :GapToothed:

Amanda6

#5 Post by Amanda6 »

I had 4 premolars extracted with orthodontics when I was a child. Now as an adult I am having orthodontics again to treat TMJ (jaw joint) dysfunction.

I feel sure that the extractions I had as a child had a negative affect on my facial appearance, but it's the damaging affect that they had on my TMJ that has been a much bigger issue for me, as the symptoms of TMJ dysfunction have been debilitating.

There are orthodontists who use alternative methods to avoid extracting premolars, even in adults. Orthodontists who extract the teeth do not always inform you of the alternative methods available. It's important that when the orthodontics is done that the jaw joint function is also taken into consideration, and not all of them do that. A 'functional orthodontist' would be much less likely to extract teeth, and they would consider the TMJ function as well. I am not trying to worry you about extractions, but just that it may be worth seeking a second opinion in order to avoid possible future problems with the TMJ.

Flamingo

#6 Post by Flamingo »

Hi
I had all 4 2nd pre-molars extracted in january. My face is pretty long & thin anyway & i was worried about the effect the extractions would have on my face - didn't want a sunken look that i'd read about :shock: . My Ortho reassured me that for every 6 or 10mm (sorry can't remember exactly) of movement in the mouth this would be reflected in 1mm of movement in the soft tissue of my face. This made me happier!
About 1 month after i had my teeth extracted & my braces fitted i thought my cheekbone area looked a bit sunken & gaunt - my mum & colleagues even commented on it - eeek! However, it turned out that it was purely linked to the general weight loss that i experience from not being able to eat for so long. I'm now nearly 3 months into treatment, I've put the weight back on & my face is back to normal - phew :D
I think my chin area has changed slightly (for the better) - i think i photograph a bit better now (less of a double chin :))
I've still got a long way to go before the end of my treatment but hopefully my facial structure will remain as it is now.....

Chiara

#7 Post by Chiara »

I just had extractions this morning -2nd bicuspids on top, 1st bicuspids on bottom and my 2 remaining wisdom teeth on top. The experience was not bad at all since I was put completely under. I'm hoping that I dont get the "sunken face" that I've been hearing about since I have a bi max protrusion but I guess I will just have to wait a few days to see how much its changed my face.

diegorgeous

#8 Post by diegorgeous »

okay. sounds good. I think the sunken face issue comes for people who already have good balanced profiles from the front and side. For those of us who have bimaxilliary protrusion i think it will give a better profile. I'm hoping for one :lol: . I'm thinking most of the change will come in the lower half of my face.
I really doubt that for ever 6-7mm move in teeth , it results in 1 mm move in soft tissue. I don't know if this is true. I hope not at least lol.

VA5

#9 Post by VA5 »

diegorgeous wrote:okay. sounds good. I think the sunken face issue comes for people who already have good balanced profiles from the front and side. For those of us who have bimaxilliary protrusion i think it will give a better profile. I'm hoping for one :lol: . I'm thinking most of the change will come in the lower half of my face.
I really doubt that for ever 6-7mm move in teeth , it results in 1 mm move in soft tissue. I don't know if this is true. I hope not at least lol.

I had bimax protrusion and most definitely it helped with the profile!!

But, I have to say that it definitely made my face a littlie longer.. my chin looks longer and I never considered myself to have a big chin but now I feel like I do.. which I do not like. And, my face has thinned out but I think a lot of that is age. I am almost 40 and this is around the age when we start to lose fat in the cheeks. I don't regret this at all though.. I hated my profile and it corrected that. My smile looks so much better .

VA5

#10 Post by VA5 »

This is sort of an update... I regret getting extractions, period. I re-read my last post here and can't believe I said I was okay getting it done. Sure, it changed some things for the better, but overall I think I could have gotten away with shaving the teeth and giong for a more conservative retraction of my profile. Now, I'm so jealous of people with slightly protruding teeth! They have the BEST looking smiles. I have to say though, that while I felt like it negatively affected my face and it looked sunken, for some reason things have adjusted and it doesn't look as sunken. My face seems to have adjusted in some weird way. Also, (can't recommend for all but seems to be fine for me), I haven't been wearing a retainer in a year or so, and I'm hoping my teeth will protrude a little bit b/c of it. I never had crooked teeth to begin with, so they are still as straight as can be. But, I think they have protruded just a bit b/c I can tell my lips. After I had my braces removed I didn't like how small my lips had gotten w/the extraction/retraction. Now, I'm positive they have protruded just enough that my lips look slightly fuller, and I'm hoping with time they will protrude even more and I will get the look I wish I had originally gotten.

Think TWICE about extractions! Only get them if it's the ONLY alternative you have. For me, I had a dentist tell me I could just shave my teeth, so I knew it was a possibility, but I wasn't sure about how much of an effect I would get. And now, 100% if I could do it again I would have gone that route!

mrscetrone

#11 Post by mrscetrone »

First pre-molars removed, on top and bottom. I've only had the braces for 3 months but there is a noticeable gaunt look in my cheeks now, which is fine by me. I've never been a fan of my super round face anyway. Unfortunately, it had to be done in my case. Every dentist I've ever been to has told me I just had too many teeth for my mouth. There was no getting around extractions for me.

Kkllkkll

#12 Post by Kkllkkll »

Bump

kalonxis

#13 Post by kalonxis »

I had a pretty bad underbite, so my ortho decided to extract my 2 of my lower 1st premolars. I originally wanted surgery to fix it, because it was really that bad. I didn't believe that taking the teeth out would make much of a difference compared to surgery, but I did it anyway. Mostly because I didn't want my wisdom teeth removed and all the hassle of surgery seemed like a very grim future for me.

So, I got the premolars removed, and my ortho said that it would take two years of braces and adjustments to fix everything. Mind you, I had a lot of problems with my teeth, I also had a severe crossbite and I couldn't chew on my left side (yikes!).

It's now been four months since the extractions & braces, and my underbite is already fixed, while the crossbite has made a lot of progress. I do have some concerns though. Meaning, I've realized that everything has it's pros and cons. The extractions, it feels like they drag your entire face down. You would think that fixing an underbite and a crossbite would improve someone's appearance but it hasn't exactly improved mine that much. My face looks thinner and longer, and before it was more v-shaped but now it looks more like a long rectangle. It makes me upset to see that my teeth are beautiful but I've lost the original balance of my face. I will say that my profile looks a lot better, nose and lips haven't changed, and my jaws are more symmetrical. However, if I had the chance, I would've went for surgery instead.

I can't say for sure if I'm a total lost cause bc I'm not even finished with 1/4th of my treatment yet, so there's still hope for a better outcome.

Kidolize

#14 Post by Kidolize »

kalonxis wrote:I had a pretty bad underbite, so my ortho decided to extract my 2 of my lower 1st premolars. I originally wanted surgery to fix it, because it was really that bad. I didn't believe that taking the teeth out would make much of a difference compared to surgery, but I did it anyway. Mostly because I didn't want my wisdom teeth removed and all the hassle of surgery seemed like a very grim future for me.

Hi! I have the same case with my face. Did your face back to normal? I’m wearing my braces for almost 6 monts now and the changes are dramatic ally my friends always say that i loom like a sick person.

So, I got the premolars removed, and my ortho said that it would take two years of braces and adjustments to fix everything. Mind you, I had a lot of problems with my teeth, I also had a severe crossbite and I couldn't chew on my left side (yikes!).

It's now been four months since the extractions & braces, and my underbite is already fixed, while the crossbite has made a lot of progress. I do have some concerns though. Meaning, I've realized that everything has it's pros and cons. The extractions, it feels like they drag your entire face down. You would think that fixing an underbite and a crossbite would improve someone's appearance but it hasn't exactly improved mine that much. My face looks thinner and longer, and before it was more v-shaped but now it looks more like a long rectangle. It makes me upset to see that my teeth are beautiful but I've lost the original balance of my face. I will say that my profile looks a lot better, nose and lips haven't changed, and my jaws are more symmetrical. However, if I had the chance, I would've went for surgery instead.

I can't say for sure if I'm a total lost cause bc I'm not even finished with 1/4th of my treatment yet, so there's still hope for a better outcome.

Kidolize

#15 Post by Kidolize »

kalonxis wrote:I had a pretty bad underbite, so my ortho decided to extract my 2 of my lower 1st premolars. I originally wanted surgery to fix it, because it was really that bad. I didn't believe that taking the teeth out would make much of a difference compared to surgery, but I did it anyway. Mostly because I didn't want my wisdom teeth removed and all the hassle of surgery seemed like a very grim future for me.

Hi! I have the same case with my face. Did your face back to normal? I’m wearing my braces for almost 6 monts now and the changes are dramatic ally my friends always say that i loom like a sick person