Braceface Greeting Etiquette

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oldfart

Braceface Greeting Etiquette

#1 Post by oldfart »

You meet another adult brace face in the elevator, or in line for something, or whatever.

Do you engage them in casual conversation and trade orthodontia horror stories, or do you just act like they don't exist.

I go back and forth. Some times i'll be more than happy to talk and bore someone about them, and other times don't want anyone to ask about them.

How about you guys?

Oh yeah, seven weeks in braces.. Have seen about a half dozen women with them, not a single guy yet. Am still the only one in the state I think.

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

bmueller

Re: Braceface Greeting Etiquette

#2 Post by bmueller »

I ended up sitting next to a lady on a plane who had braces. It was a great ice breaker.

isthistaken

#3 Post by isthistaken »

bmueller wrote:I ended up sitting next to a lady on a plane who had braces. It was a great ice breaker.
ROFL, literally? :-#)

KatrinkaNoir

#4 Post by KatrinkaNoir »

I chat up ANYONE with braces, I'm like a freak :HugeGrin: ! I wish I would see an adult with braces, though. I feel so alone! :crazy:

isthistaken

#5 Post by isthistaken »

I haven't run into any other adults with braces so far.

Tobilei

#6 Post by Tobilei »

I've run into a few but if they're complete strangers I don't feel comfortable mentioning them. I don't think it would bother me if someone asked about mine but still....if they're embarrassed or just got them on or something I'd be worried about offending them by asking.

Sita

#7 Post by Sita »

I usually say "ooooh braces! Me too!" and give them a big teethy grin. Sometimes a conversation starts, sometimes they look at me like I am insane.

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

JumpTheDitch

#8 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I used to feel a bit embarrassed if I encountered another adult in braces. I suddenly didnt want to show mine. It was like turning up to a swanky event & meeting someone wearing the same outfit!

Crazy, I know :roll:

emoticon1234

#9 Post by emoticon1234 »

Yeah I talk to people who have braces or have had braces and we talk about our experiences together.

rhibee83

#10 Post by rhibee83 »

haha funny I saw this and I saw a lady last night (about my age I think ) and I said "OoOo another brace face like me!" and gave her a big smile lol. She was the bar lady where I went out for dinner last night and I noticed her baby pink ligs as she collected our glasses. It was good and she was happy to share her experience and it was nice to finally see a lady my age have them! she was probably about 25, I am 30 at the end of the month!

Leebie3

#11 Post by Leebie3 »

I LOVE trading stories!

38yr old Mum to 3 (2 teens and a preppie) living in paradise with her man. BSSO surgery approx late April 2014!

belenov

#12 Post by belenov »

Strangely I have only seen two other men in braces except when I was at a gig in Cork Ireland, when suddenly while in a queue for the bar the man in front of me and the man behind me both had braces. It was quite odd. None of us brought up the subject. :D

Kezza

#13 Post by Kezza »

Sita wrote:I usually say "ooooh braces! Me too!" and give them a big teethy grin. Sometimes a conversation starts, sometimes they look at me like I am insane.
LOL...That is soooo me! :-*
39 year old woman.

Upper Ceramic Braces Put On 16/4/2013.
Lower Metal Braces put on 9/9/2013.

EricRoyalOak

#14 Post by EricRoyalOak »

I ran into a worker at Home Depot with braces the other day. Young guy in mid 20's. I asked him how his braces were working out for him. We talked about braces for about 10 minutes - exchanging stories. He was more than happy to talk about his treatment. It was good to hear about wearing braces from another grown man. In the past (before I got braces), if I asked someone about them I usually got an angry look as if they were upset about having to wear them.

amyhenna

#15 Post by amyhenna »

EricRoyalOak, are you of the Michigan variety? Which Home Depot were you at? I should go there & strike up the same conversation & the guy will think he's in the Twilight Zone (assuming he knows what that is or that the show ever existed, given his age). Did you recruit the compadre to the board? :rawk: :dance:

I recently ran into a couple of braced buddies (buddies in my mind, if not theirs) at Whole Foods at 14 Mile and Orchard Lake Road, but I only saw each of them one time. They were cashiers, which seem to have a high turnover rate there lately, so maybe they've moved on, braces and all.

I love teeth!!!

I took this great picture of myself at lunch with a flosser hanging from dental floss, strung over the wire between my two front brackets. It's a great picture. I hope these things never come off so I can always have this much fun. :lol: