Brushing at work?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jtsnowden

Brushing at work?

#1 Post by jtsnowden »

I begin a new position in about 3 weeks, and I'm wondering about the etiquette of brushing, flossing etc. at work. I do have a cordless Water-pik so could use it as well. Do co-workers get grossed-out and complain? What can I do to avoid problems?

MBriar

Re: Brushing at work?

#2 Post by MBriar »

I would think that most people would be sympathetic to your situation. If there is someone who is grossed out by your brushing and flossing then ask them if they would rather see a chunk of food in your braces and/or teeth. I would think that would gross them out more. Best of luck to you and happy brushing! :-}
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Be sure to check out my blog HERE!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

methoddan

#3 Post by methoddan »

Brushing, flossing is fine in the restroom sink area. I am not a fan of people doing this in a lounge/kitchen sink area, since that is wear people eat.
Braces on August 9, 2011
Braces off November 30, 2012

My braces story take #2

soldiergirl

#4 Post by soldiergirl »

I haven't had any issues with brushing my teeth at work. I'm proud to do it. It shows that I care about my dental hygiene. Plus we have a shower room so it's not uncommon for people to do all kinds of hygiene maintainance at work. I dare someone say something negative to me about brushing my teeth. Some people need to do the same. :wink:

Snowglobe32

#5 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I brush at work, I did even before I had braces. I wish more people brushed because their breath is horrible. After their morning coffee, snacks and then lunch, sometimes it is hard to sit in afternoon meetings; I know who to sit by and who not to sit by.

I always have breathsavers at my desk and people will come over and get one. If they are one of the "offenders" I offer them a toothbrush and toothpaste also. (I am not being insensitive, they know how I am about teeth...) and when they go to the dentist, they bring me back samples of toothpaste, toothbrushes and floss so I always have extra. We have one person in the office that everyone knows has stinky breath all the time...I wonder why they don't know it!

I would use the restroom not a common area like the kitchen. There are a couple of other people in my building who brush also. It isn't a big deal and there is nothing like the freshly brushed feeling. I don't know that I would bring a waterpik to work though. I find a toothbrush, toothpaste and mouthwash is sufficient for me.

Sometimes I make a joke that I am going to shine my diamonds...since my braces cost as much as diamonds and I will probably never have a real diamond!

Plus, with all the hardware in your mouth it is really hard not to brush after eating. It feels cleaner.

Enjoy your new position, brush those teeth and smile big! :D

Huggypillow

#6 Post by Huggypillow »

If i can i use the wheelchair toilet ( I know i'm naughty) because it has it's own sink and i can have privacy, but i am happy to use the regular basins in the main restrooms, i also carry my own handtowel to wipe my face and hands,

To be honest i dont really care what people think, besides usually people have a general understanding about the extra brushing for people with braces, they either had them themselves or their kids have them.

I wouldn't worry too much, you will work out the best way for yourself to feel comfortable to brush at work.

yoginbraces

#7 Post by yoginbraces »

I brush at work once a day after lunch and by now everyone is used to seeing me in the restroom at the same time every day. Most people smile and make positive comments about my braces and/or my good oral hygiene which makes me feel less self conscious. That said, I don't do everything at work. No waterpik and typically not full mouth flossing. I use the interdental brush, then floss in places where I know food gets stuck and then I brush well. It takes about 10 minutes and I'm done. For me it would feel weird taking too much time and space in the restroom for my dental hygiene. When I'm home I do everything thoroughly (including flossing well) which usually takes about 30 minutes. There are no right or wrong answers on this. You'll find what works for you and it will become routine. Good luck!

sibilla

#8 Post by sibilla »

I brush at work too - people have got used to seeing me doing it now. I don't do the full waterpik/flossing thing, just brushing and using interdental brush. I have even taken my kit to a wedding reception and a night out in town. People might look for a second or two but people are usually so wrapped up in their own lives, they'll have forgotten all about it in a few minutes anyway. Like most others, I would hate to think I had food stuck in my braces and would end up stressing out more over the damage being done to my teeth by not brushing than by other people's reactions! Good luck!

bracketeer

#9 Post by bracketeer »

I don't like brushing at work but I'm doing it anyway. I hate being in the restroom when other people are doing their business and I'm brushing and I never seem to get the timing right where I'm the only one in there.

I agree, if anyone gives me a funny look then maybe they should take a look at their own teeth first. There are a lot of people out there that NEED to be brushing their teeth, and they aren't. Tsk Tsk! :-}
Embraced in a heavy metal romance with Damon since 8/10/11. This affair is destined to last at least 12 months : )

jtsnowden

#10 Post by jtsnowden »

Thank you all for your responses! I feel much reassured.

drgnchsr36

#11 Post by drgnchsr36 »

No one cares here, plenty of people brush their teeth here that don't have braces...so it's really no big deal. As long as you keep the area clean and don't leave a mess when you leave.. I think it should be OK.

Snowglobe32

#12 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Sometimes after I rinse my toothbrush, I tap it on the counter, on top of a paper towel of course, and water goes everywhere! Don't do this...or do this but wipe down the mirror. :lol:

PrincessLea

#13 Post by PrincessLea »

I sometimes get funny looks when I'm brushing at work but i just ignore it. The most annoying thing is I think it makes others feel uncomfortable so they talk to you. How can I have a conversation when I'm brushing my teeth?!?!

sibilla

#14 Post by sibilla »

That's so true!! I usually end up dribbling toothpaste into the sink when that happens - very attractive!

ArchWired28

#15 Post by ArchWired28 »

I started brushing at work after I got braces. In fact, I have to brush every time I eat anything, since food gets stuck there and irritates me. But I have seen other people brushing long before, and I always thought highly of them.
I always brush in the restroom and never in the kitchen since it's where people eat and handle food.
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.