Can a few hours without elastics make a difference?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

loz876

Can a few hours without elastics make a difference?

#1 Post by loz876 »

I wear L-shaped elastics going from my top right canine, to my top right molar, down to my bottom right molar, to shut an extraction gap. The gap is pretty much shut and there's about half a mm left (debond next time :D). I wear them religiously (and actually double them up for twice the power!) to avoid problems at my next appointment, but when I get up I take them out to brush teeth, get ready and eat breakfast, making it about 45 minutes. But I could swear that I can feel a difference in gap size with my tongue in that time.. can 45 minutes really make teeth move? Would this affect my treatment since I do this everyday or is it just me!?
Braced 10th July 2008

yoginbraces

Re: Can a few hours without elastics make a difference?

#2 Post by yoginbraces »

I posted a similar question about a week ago. I was wearing my elastics most of the time except when eating, brushing & flossing which for me was a significant part of the day when I included bfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, etc. I'd wake in the AM feeling a tightness to my teeth (a sign that some shifting occurred overnight) but I'd lose that feeling by the end of the day I assume due to the constant removal of elastics. So I took the advice of some of our fellow forum members and am now wearing my elastics 100% of the time except when I brush & floss and I can see a noticeable difference. Of course noticeable to me would not be noticeable to anyone else.

I should add I absolutely loathe wearing elastics more than I ever thought I would but since I've been given this sentence (ugh!) I figure I should try my best to tough it out.

Good luck to you!

loz876

#3 Post by loz876 »

yoginbraces wrote:I posted a similar question about a week ago. I was wearing my elastics most of the time except when eating, brushing & flossing which for me was a significant part of the day when I included bfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, etc. I'd wake in the AM feeling a tightness to my teeth (a sign that some shifting occurred overnight) but I'd lose that feeling by the end of the day I assume due to the constant removal of elastics. So I took the advice of some of our fellow forum members and am now wearing my elastics 100% of the time except when I brush & floss and I can see a noticeable difference. Of course noticeable to me would not be noticeable to anyone else.

I should add I absolutely loathe wearing elastics more than I ever thought I would but since I've been given this sentence (ugh!) I figure I should try my best to tough it out.

Good luck to you!
I do the exact same as you - take them out for eating and brushing etc... but if i try to eat with them in, they just pop out since they become unhooked! When I first got them I tried eating with them but it was impossible and I kept swallowing them! And I know what you mean when you wake up - my extraction gap feels like it's not there when i wake up!
Braced 10th July 2008

GeenBug

#4 Post by GeenBug »

loz876 wrote:
yoginbraces wrote:I posted a similar question about a week ago. I was wearing my elastics most of the time except when eating, brushing & flossing which for me was a significant part of the day when I included bfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, etc. I'd wake in the AM feeling a tightness to my teeth (a sign that some shifting occurred overnight) but I'd lose that feeling by the end of the day I assume due to the constant removal of elastics. So I took the advice of some of our fellow forum members and am now wearing my elastics 100% of the time except when I brush & floss and I can see a noticeable difference. Of course noticeable to me would not be noticeable to anyone else.

Good luck to you!
I do the exact same as you - take them out for eating and brushing etc... but if i try to eat with them in, they just pop out since they become unhooked! When I first got them I tried eating with them but it was impossible and I kept swallowing them! And I know what you mean when you wake up - my extraction gap feels like it's not there when i wake up!
I guess it's safe to say a lot of people who just get elastics try to eat with them on. I tried that the second day after getting them because I got lazy and didn't want to take them out and I also thought I could chew with the on, but yea, they snapped off, lol. But I didn't swallow them because I immediately felt they were no longer hooked while chewing and found them in my mouth.

Braced: June 24, 2010.