Clenching

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Boohill

Clenching

#1 Post by Boohill »

3 or 4 days after my first adjustment, I woke up to find that I had become a “clencher”. I have never done this before. I don’t think I was grinding my teeth but I found that clenched position pretty comfortable but different. I’m not sure what this means and I’m not sure if I did it last night.
Any thoughts?

drrick

#2 Post by drrick »

You were always a clencher -- you just never noticed it before.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

Steph in Sac

#3 Post by Steph in Sac »

I know I used to wake up clenching on occassion before braces. I have had them on for 5 days now and at least twice I've noticed clenching in the middle of the night--it just hurts more now!!

Boohill

#4 Post by Boohill »

Fortunately it doesnt hurt when I clench.

essdee

#5 Post by essdee »

I'm a clencher too. Don't know if my open bite has anything to do with it (?) Woke up this morning with teeth marks down each side of my tongue too. Ow ow OW :(

(We are talking about clenching jaws/teeth, right?!?)

Boohill, I do love your avatar by the way :)

Boohill

#6 Post by Boohill »

Thanks Essdee Yes we are talking about teeth unless you have something else you want to share. :lol: :lol: . I do notice my toungue between my teeth sometimes but I dont bite enough for it to hurt. I know now I'll probably bite my tongue off now that Ive said that.

wycket

#7 Post by wycket »

Unfortunately, I am a serious clencher/grinder and have been for years. :( Prior to braces, I wore a custom night guard to help protect my teeth. I got really spoiled by that.... now I wear a Splintek night guard, and it drives me crazy! Don't get me wrong - it's far better than nothing, but it's so different than what I was used to, and I still haven't adjusted. I hope none of you develop any serious clenching/grinding issues - they can be very painful, and terrible for your teeth!! :soremouth:

jambo532

Clencher

#8 Post by jambo532 »

Yeah I'm a clencher/griner have been forever. But since putting my braces on I haven't noticed myself doing it. I asked my ortho if I should wear my night guard and he said don't even bother because I would have to get a new one every couple days because of teeth movement. It always worries me that I am going to go back to clenching and bite off my bottom brackets.
www.allbraced.blogspot.com