How did you pick your orthos?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

GiverSSJ

How did you pick your orthos?

#1 Post by GiverSSJ »

So how did you pick your orthos? Was it because of a friend who went there? Was it because he's popular doctor in town?

dawnmarie

#2 Post by dawnmarie »

There are only a handful of ortho's in my area. And we're also still relatively new to the area when it comes to who to go to for things like orthodontics. I saw two orthos...both giving me roughly the same time frame although the second suggested an arch appliance while the other said extractions...so you can probably guess who I'd go to.(plus the first was 1000 cheaper)
He also worked well with our payment plan according to my hubby's employment benefits. We were able to put a lump sum on at the beginning rather than pay by month...not as stressful for us! It was an easy decision at that point! We also found other adults who went to him after I started treatment.
upper and lower expander - August 6th, 2008
Damon braces - February 19th, 2009
upper and lower expander removed - April 2nd, 2009
Next appointment - March 3rd, 2010

opera^gal

#3 Post by opera^gal »

My dentist's recommendation
2/2/09: metal braces T/B
8/20/10: braced removed (18mons, 18days), hawley retainers T/B
9/16/10: LR central incisor extracted (failed root canal)
2/23/11: implant/bone graft
9/15/11: implant crown placed, lower lingual bonding corrected
9/21/11: upper bonding on lateral gaps from upper arch forward advancement
10/17/11: new hawley retainers w/plastic tubing over the 'social six' wire, both T/B

jadestar

#4 Post by jadestar »

I chose my ortho based on my list from the insurance company. He was the best and I know some of his patients-so I knew I was in good hands.

bluegirl

#5 Post by bluegirl »

I asked my dentist. She recommended 2 so I went to both for consultations. I picked guy #2 because he seemed very thorough even during the initial consultation. I think he was more honest too.
Braces (uppers & lowers) on: 8/3/09
Sentence: 2 years

pigonthego

#6 Post by pigonthego »

My wife went to him 20 years ago. Also my dentist Recommended 2 orthos him being 1 of them.

Whitters

#7 Post by Whitters »

I looked in the yellow pages and narrowed it down to 2 orthos. One I found the location easily and hence made an appointment. At my first consult, I wanted to get the process started at once and had impressions done.
The ortho I went to was not recommended (since I've been in treatment I know of no one that was treated by him). In addition, I realised he was the most expensive - approximately US$1000 more.

Although no one asked for advice. For anyone starting treatment, I would advise that you get someone recommended and look around to make sure that you're getting value for your money.
B-day: May 14th 2007

jjjmac

#8 Post by jjjmac »

I looked into the dental school near me because it was so much cheaper. My dentist also gave the a good recommendation. Before that, I was just looking in the phone book and seeing which offices were convenient.
First Ortho Consult: 6/12/08
4 premolars extracted: 11/4/08
Braced Upper & Lower w/TPA: 11/6/08
Debraced: 11/18/10

iBorg

#9 Post by iBorg »

When I contacted a couple of orthos and explained I was primarily interested in braces to help with TMJ issues and they told me that they wouldn't treat me. Another guaranteed he'd cure it and I didn't trust him. Dr. P struck me as honest when she said she couldn't cure it, but she did expect she could greatly reduce it.

Good luck.....make several appointments and decide who fits your schedule, budget desires and personality best.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.