No Consensus - so, how do I choose what to do?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

supo

No Consensus - so, how do I choose what to do?

#1 Post by supo »

I started ortho at 38. I had a bilateral posterior transverse cross bite. My past ortho got me "edge to edge" and he made an error and cause a lot of gum recession trying to expand more - and it's right in the front of my mouth, bottom teeth - it's horrible.

I've been told to either "relapse" or "fix it". I saw an awesome (defined as all of his patient's pictures look ridiculously the best I've ever seen) ortho, and he says, you're so close, I wouldn't do surgery, just more expansion (that's what caused me receding gums). He said, I can't guarantee you won't lose more, but we'll watch for it. I saw another ortho who said - you need surgery. You're unstable, your gums receded and you need to take out all your retainers from previous treatment and collapse, then, when your teeth are comfortable in their position the way nature intended, then, we'll expand you based on nature's position.

Both make sense. I was told that either method is a risk for gums. I'm also told that after SARPE, that, the tooth travel really makes it possible for root resorption (I already have some). But, so is too much stress on the teeth like forcing it to tip over my lower teeth. My top teeth are already angled.

For all you SARPE people, did you loose gums inbetween your teeth - the papilla - at all? Did you have root resorption or gum recession?

I'm really confused and would like some help?

overseasmel

#2 Post by overseasmel »

I can't help much I'm afraid, but from my own experience I did have some gum recession following SARPE. I've only just had my braces off, and I am hoping that now that there is less movement and force in my mouth all the time at and between adjustments my gums will recover a bit. They aren't terrible mind you, but mine used to be super healthy/full/fleshy and they are not so much any more...

Good luck with your decision - for me SARPE was definitely the right way to go, even with the minor downsides.

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

supo

#3 Post by supo »

I'm really interested in what you have to say....do you have your post and pre records so I can see? I can give you my email if necessary if you want to remain private - unless there is a PM option here???

overseasmel

#4 Post by overseasmel »

Sorry, I don't actually have any pictures of before and after ther surgery. And, strictly speaking, I think that the minor gum recession I have is a product of both SARPE and braces, as it has also occurred to some extent with my lower jaw. And I am still (optimistically!) hoping it will right itself over time - more a shift from fleshy, full gums that came down well over the teeth to a sort of thinner/sharper/'cleaner' look, if that makes any sense.

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.