Newbie questions before placement tomorrow

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Summer73

Newbie questions before placement tomorrow

#1 Post by Summer73 »

When I went to the Ortho consult a few weeks ago, they didn't take the teeth molds. How long does this take and would that affect me getting my placement tomorrow? The girl in the financial department said that since I had been there so long that day, it could be done when I come back. Is this common or uncommon? They call to confirm appointments a week in advance and nothing was mentioned about coming in sooner to have that done before the scheduled placement.

One other question......Does anyone know an average time frame for placement of both uppers and lowers? Would it be a couple of hours or so?

bbsadmin

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

Hmmm....usually they take a mold of your mouth and use it, along with the pano x-rays, to come up with a treatment plan. After that, your brackets are placed.

Did you get pano x-rays done?

The bracket placement will take a couple of hours. It's not painful.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

jenny101101

#3 Post by jenny101101 »

I didn't get my molds done until the morning of my bracing appt. I think it depends on the ortho. I did have a pan x-ray at my consult the month before.

I only had my uppers braced at my first appt. and it took about 30-45 minutes, I think(I can't remember very well :oops: ). Good luck and keep us posted!! :D
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

Summer73

#4 Post by Summer73 »

Yes, they did the pano x rays when I went to the consult. I had it in my mind that I'd be stuck at the Ortho for hours and hours. I guess it depends on how organised they are in there. They really didn't tell me a whole lot at all on my consult. The Orthodontist only spoke of being from the Bahamas and that my husband should take me there for a vacation.

Schwe

#5 Post by Schwe »

I would definitely call back or stop by the office. You should feel comfortable and informed before having the hardware on your teeth! My Ortho made sure I asked all my questions before I left from my consult and prep-appointment (and I had my molds done then).

Summer73

#6 Post by Summer73 »

I suppose I'll find out soon. My scheduled appointment for placement is in a hour.