Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Linline

#1 Post by Linline »

Hi all. I've had incognito braces. Top and bottom for a week now. My speech is not great. I hope ot gets better soon. Only two of my teeth meet. Eating is so difficult :( . Anyone else on the lingual journey?

rebyt

Re: Newbie

#2 Post by rebyt »

I don’t have braces yet, but my appointment is in 2 weeks. From the initial consultation, molds, X-rays, etc. I’ve been told I’ll need a combination of braces and jaw surgery. I’m nervous, but also excited to finally start. How are you feeling now that it’s been almost a month?

AndAndAnd

#3 Post by AndAndAnd »

Hi. I'm in a similar position, but 9 months into my treatment with upper and lower lingual braces. Like you I have bite blocks that give some distance between your teeth while they are moving. Annoyingly my orthodontist omitted to tell me these would be attached.

As you've had your braces on for a month now your speech should would probably be a lot better now. It took a few weeks for mine to get to somewhere near normal and a few more months before I more or less forgot about any speech issues. Reading aloud every day helped me out with this. In the first few months I had lots of problems with the wires poking into my tongue, but this became less of a problem after thicker arch wires were attached. I think your tongue also 'learns' to stay away after a while! Likewise, eating is difficult at first but after a while, and with care, you will be able to make adjustments and eat most foods.

There are lots of little hurdles to overcome with linguals... but you have passed the most annoying ones so well done and good luck with the rest of your treatment.

Linline

#4 Post by Linline »

Hi both,

I've had my first wire change, bottom arch only. I was really looking forward to it. I felt like after the first week my teeth stopped moving and so i thought nothing was happening. Obv's they were settling into their new position.

Cause my front teeth were so messed up and i need to have extractions im still on my first wire on my top arch.

The speech isnt too bad. I have good days and bad days. No-one has mentioned anything to me so i think i may have gotten away with being incognito! I really thought my family would have said something but they must not have noticed. I can't go without wax though on the molars. I can't even eat without it in. Trouble is i've eaten a lot of it.

There's def some movement on the bottom arch though, lots of spaces to be filled.

I hope both of your treatments are going well. I look forward to seeing your updates ☺

AndAndAnd

#5 Post by AndAndAnd »

The wax I was given was no good to me either, and I also tried a few different vaieties from Amazon. None of them stayed on.

However my ortho gave me some unbranded putty which did the trick, and can stay on for days at a time if necessary. This came in two small containers, one putty white and the other yellow. Mixing a pea sized amount together starts a bonding process which means it can set like rubber on the bracket. It’s the only thing that worked for me. As it’s unbranded I can’t tell you what it’s actually called but your orthodontist may be aware if it. It’s worth asking or searching online perhaps?

Linline

#6 Post by Linline »

🤔I'll ask at my next visit. Thanks.