How long till I can chew?

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HollyHan

How long till I can chew?

#1 Post by HollyHan »

Hi everyone. I’ve just had my lingual brace on 3 days ago. I’m so stressed because my teeth don’t meet together which makes chewing impossible. Did anyone else have this problem and how long will it take for my bite to change and for my teeth to meet again?

Any advice will be so welcome because I really can’t not eat for 2 years!

Thanks, Holly

sblingual

Re: How long till I can chew?

#2 Post by sblingual »

Hi Holly. Im now day 7 and was so excited to manage a lasagne last night. Ive been sat in front of the TV with mash and ketchup feeling sorry for myself the rest of the week!! Even over the space of a week it seems my mouth has adapted and worked out how to chew (well a bit, Im feeling much more confident it will come right) Hang in there! Looks like we will be on similar paths! Food that has worked so far apart from the mash - lots of yoghurts and scrambled eggs, and pots of dips (humous, guacamole, weird stuff from the supermarket) eaten with a spoon! Sam

SinkFullOfDinner

#3 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Sam is right! The "fun" part that you both get to look forward to is chasing the best bite around. You'll get a great combo going for a week and then "poof" it's gone, but miraculously the other side is matching up even better. Then something else moves and you're thinking, "wait, wait, no, come back!" By that time you'll be pros and it will just be another eye roll for you.

At day 3 you're still in the Panic Mode phase that I think all of us go through with linguals. I sure did! Highest during the first moments when you're at peak "oh no, what have I just done" phase, but still pretty panicky and doubting your judgment for that first week or two. Don't worry. You've probably read a lot of comments about how it gets better, but it's true. Seriously! As hard as it is to believe right now, things get pretty normal. Hang in there. You'll be fine. Actually, you'll be much better than fine. You'll be "new and improved!"

HollyHan

#4 Post by HollyHan »

Sam, that’s so great! Can’t wait to eat lasagne haha! Let’s hope that soon we won’t even notice it’s there. Thanks so much for getting back to me. Looking forward to being a week into treatment.. do your molars actually meet together now? Thanks so much for replying!

Sinkfull, I’m so glad you replied.. you’re right, I’m in major panic mode right now and seriously regretting my desision! I’m so excited for things to get better. I don’t even mind about the pain, just want my back molars to meet together!

Thank you both for making me feel better!

Shelleyt

#5 Post by Shelleyt »

I'll echo everyone else and say it will get better! Your bite will improve (although in my case I am still sporting a bite that is way worse than what I started with!) or at least you will get used to it and be able to eat normally very soon.

kmb37

#6 Post by kmb37 »

Hi Holly and everyone,
I'm so happy to find this blog - I am getting lingual braces on next month and was finding it hard to find people who i can share the experience with!!
I hope the challenges with food and pain have eased Holly???
I'm getting my moulds taken on Thursday.
My teeth are pretty over crowded - does anyone else have this or is it minor adjustments? Would be lovely to connect with you guys! x

Milo25

#7 Post by Milo25 »

Just wanted to share my experience so far with lingual braces.

I have had them for about 9 months now. I would say it took about 1 full month to full adapt to everything. I can eat pretty much anything now as long as I am careful.

The first month I had trouble eating and chewing a lot of different foods. Your mouth gets used to it though. I have no troubles now. You just need to keep at it and eventually it will be back to normal. I also have no lisp and no one at work has been able to tell that I have them on.

HollyHan

#8 Post by HollyHan »

Hi guys! Thank you all so much for your replies. I’m 3 and a half weeks in and feeling 10000x better. My bite it’s still propped open but I’m positive that it’s getting better.

I can pretty much eat everything now so kmb37 do not worry!! The first week is full on misery and then after that it was so fine. My teeth are really crowded. Had to have 4 teeth extracted too which didn’t help eating matters.

So update: feeling a lot better about my life haha!