Interproximal reduction (IPR)

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chinglnc

Interproximal reduction (IPR)

#1 Post by chinglnc »

Hello

What is your experience with IPR?

I have crowded upper and bottom teeth.

I went to two orthos, Ortho 1 suggests I need to take out 4 teeth (2 upper, 2 bottoms); Ortho 2 suggests to use IPR to solve the crowded issue.

Ortho 1 seems to suggest that extraction is the only way to resolve the 'flare out' issue; but Ortho 2 thinks no extraction is needed and that IPR would work.

For those who has experience with IPR, did it really solve your 'flare out' issue?

Thank you in advice for your advice!

FlyByNight

Re: Interproximal reduction (IPR)

#2 Post by FlyByNight »

I didn't have a flare out issue but I did have black triangles that almost closed completely after.

chinglnc

#3 Post by chinglnc »

I read a lot of black triangle cases in this forum, does it happen to everyone with braces during the process?

FlyByNight

#4 Post by FlyByNight »

chinglnc wrote:I read a lot of black triangle cases in this forum, does it happen to everyone with braces during the process?
It happened to me because my bottom teeth were crowded, and they're wider on the biting surface then they are when the meet the gums. When they straightened those out, the triangles formed. They did ipr in 4 sections in the lower front. It doesn't happen to everyone. Only if you have the same shaped lower teeth that I do. Some people even get it on the upper teeth.