How effective is invisalign?

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chinglnc

#1 Post by chinglnc »

My orthodontist says they offered it for 3 months then stop because they found it to be very ineffective.

What is your experience on this?

FlyByNight

Re: How effective is invisalign?

#2 Post by FlyByNight »

My orthos are one of the best Invisalign providers in Canada. I had the Damon system but was considering Invisalign. Although there are a few little things Invisalign can't do, they will work properly if you aren't taking them out every few minutes. The reason why I prefer traditional braces is because you can't take them off obviously, which means your treatment time is shorter than Invisalign.

chinglnc

#3 Post by chinglnc »

Thank you for sharing your experience!

nybizzle

#4 Post by nybizzle »

I copied and pasted this from my thread:
I went to a orthodontic consultation last year and the orthodontist said I was a candidate for both Invisalign and traditional metal braces. I was initially very excited to get Invisalign. This is because my dentist and some dental hygienists had told me that because of my crossbite, I wouldn't be able to get it, and braces would be most effective option. I also have a crossbite on my back teeth in addition to the front ones, and this orthodontist said that neither braces or Invisalign would be able to correct it. He said jaw surgery would be the only option. I told him that I don't want jaw surgery and all I cared about was my front teeth being straight. He also mentioned that since I am a nurse, Invisalign may be more professional-looking. I went to a second orthodontic consultation at a different place, and the orthodontist there said I was a candidate for both Invisalign and traditional metal braces. However, he mentioned that braces would be more effective at correcting the crossbite on my back teeth. I've also read that braces are better at correcting bites on back teeth. I ended up going with the first orthodontist I saw because I felt that the staff there were more genuine. I just don't get why he would say that jaw surgery would be the only way to correct my back bite.
I've heard many different things on Invisalign. I heard that it can correct most things now, except for a few cases. I've heard that it isn't as good for complex cases. I've read a lot of cases online of people getting Invisalign for 1.5-2 years, then having to get refinements done with either new Invisalign trays or braces, which they have to have for many months after.

I've also read that with Invisalign, there's not much the orthodontist can do to make your teeth shift a certain way. If your teeth aren't moving as expected, they sometimes have to do a mid-course correction and give you new trays. With braces, they can make adjustments as they please.

I did choose to get Invisalign, then switched to braces right after. It just wasn't for me. They gave me all 33 trays during my first visit. When I switched to braces, I checked my last (33rd) Invisalign tray, to see how it would look, and it did look like my teeth would've been straighter, but definitely not as straight as they could be. It still looked like there would've been more work to be done after that last tray.

Here are some links you can look at:

http://identityortho.com/blog/is-invisalign-effective

http://identityortho.com/blog/invisalig ... -is-better

This is a wordy post, but I hope it makes sense! :D

chinglnc

#5 Post by chinglnc »

Thanks for sharing, nybizzle.

It's a shock to me that "Invisalign certification is amazingly just an 8 hour course that any dentist can take."- I would have never thought that!!!

I wonder whether it's the same case for other braces type, e.g. traditional metal train type or lingual.

Do I need to ask the ortho to show me certificate for braces training before going ahead?

They make me rethink anybody can just claim that they can fit braces.

nybizzle

#6 Post by nybizzle »

chinglnc wrote:Thanks for sharing, nybizzle.

It's a shock to me that "Invisalign certification is amazingly just an 8 hour course that any dentist can take."- I would have never thought that!!!

I wonder whether it's the same case for other braces type, e.g. traditional metal train type or lingual.

Do I need to ask the ortho to show me certificate for braces training before going ahead?

They make me rethink anybody can just claim that they can fit braces.
I'm not sure if you'd need to do that, but it could help. I feel like braces are more reliable than Invisalign, cause with Invisalign, you really have to make sure that the orthodontist is really experienced with it.

egillie

#7 Post by egillie »

I tried invisalign and wasn't too impressed. When I went to my lingual ortho to try that instead he couldn't believe that anyone thought invisalign would work for my teeth. I think everyone just peddles what they're good at... always worth getting multiple opinions, I wish I'd done that.

Murcatko

#8 Post by Murcatko »

[quote=chinglnc post_id=494324 time=1495878870 user_id=29938]
Thanks for sharing, nybizzle.

[/quote]

I'm astonished that they can just give a certificate to any dentist without orthodontic training. There are so many things an orthodontist has to take into account while choosing the best course of action. I'm glad now that I have chosen the more traditional method of ceramic braces. :D