Does wax fix the speech problem?

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chinglnc

Does wax fix the speech problem?

#1 Post by chinglnc »

Hello

I read that one of the main downside of having lingual is the speech ability. I am aware that they are some cases where this issue remain throughout the treatment.

I am wondering whether using wax would solve the problem?

What is the long term effect of using 'too much' wax?

I would be grateful if you share your experience.

Thank you

KHbraced

Re: Does wax fix the speech problem?

#2 Post by KHbraced »

It helped me quite about when I first got my lingual braces. I've never heard of wax causing any problems from wearing it too often, I think you can wear it as often as you need to!

chinglnc

#3 Post by chinglnc »

KHbraced wrote:It helped me quite about when I first got my lingual braces. I've never heard of wax causing any problems from wearing it too often, I think you can wear it as often as you need to!

I guess the only downside is that we have to take it out when eating/drinking?

Shelleyt

#4 Post by Shelleyt »

Wax unfortunately did not help my speech issue initially. It did help for pain- I got some pain due to dry mouth and tongue contact for the first three months. However I will say speech was only a major issue for about a week. By the end of week two I sounded perfectly normal to everyone but myself- still get a little mumble mouthed from time to time, esp if mouth is dry (or if I am drunk... but is that really the braces...) but nothing major. That being said everyone is different so it's possible you could have more speech issues than I did!

chinglnc

#5 Post by chinglnc »

that's useful to know.

It sounds like we can use any silicon material as wax? I read some people use earplug as the wax...but not sure how effective it is..

KHbraced

#6 Post by KHbraced »

[quote="chinglnc"][quote="KHbraced"]It helped me quite about when I first got my lingual braces. I've never heard of wax causing any problems from wearing it too often, I think you can wear it as often as you need to![/quote]

I guess the only downside is that we have to take it out when eating/drinking?[/quote]

Yes but that hasn't been too big of a deal to me personally

Bwallis

#7 Post by Bwallis »

Hi!
I’m a month in with linguals and am finding just the smallest blob of wax on several brackets does the trick, and the number goes down week to week. If I’ve got to speak a lot I do tend to smooth out my brace on the front 6 by packing just a little under the brace as well as on the metal itself - feels a bit weird at first but I really helped me out with speech problems for a big event!

dorazabi10

#8 Post by dorazabi10 »

im using wax esp when im eating..eating without wax is a turture for my tongue