Lingual braces for the "social six"

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Amaretti

Lingual braces for the "social six"

#1 Post by Amaretti »

Hello all! :)

I'm interested in getting (possibly lingual) braces to align just the front 4 teeth in my upper jaw, but was wondering whether there were any health and safety implications for moving just a few teeth. Would this damage my bite, or cause dental problems down the line?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

SinkFullOfDinner

Re: Lingual braces for the "social six"

#2 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

That's a good question to ask, but honestly, only an orthodontist can give you an answer on your specific situation. It could be "no problem" or "here's everything else that must happen in order to get to those front four." Definitely do not rely on us well-meaning yahoos for a treatment plan! :wink: If you're U.S.-based, consultations are almost always free (no idea about elsewhere), so just schedule an appt and get an expert's opinion. They don't take that long, and you'll sleep better with an expert opinion. Good luck.

Amaretti

#3 Post by Amaretti »

Thanks so much SinkFull :) I've been investigating six month braces type solutions to just deal with the situation with the front uppers (the other teeth aren't straight, they don't bother me and have never caused any problems). I've noticed the majority of the people who offer braces to fix the front few teeth in the uk are dentists rather than orthodontists but I guess that's because it's mainly cosmetic rather than bite etc based. I'll book an appointment and see what they say :)

jem

#4 Post by jem »

The problem with general dentists doing braces is that they don't know what they don't know. I suggest you book your first appointment with a properly qualified orthodontist and ask them for their advice on whether limited orthodontics would be a good idea in your case. I am in the UK and had braces on just my top front teeth ( a "sectional brace") done by a proper orthodontist. She was happy that it would be a good plan in my case so I had the benefit of a real expert straightening my teeth at a price which was no more than a general dentist would have charged. My fee for initial advice was £40 plus a further £40 for taking x rays, impressions and photos on a later date. That was 5 years ago, so it might be a little more now.

Good luck with your treatment!

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Amaretti

#5 Post by Amaretti »

Hi Jem! Cheers very much for your advice :D that's a brilliant idea. were you by any chance in the London/Berkshire area? I haven't found many orthodontists offering social six-type braces.

jem

#6 Post by jem »

Hi Amaretti,

No my treatment was in Nottingham and labial not lingual braces. But I would think there should be a good number of orthos in your area who would do a social 6 brace.

All the best,

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

tonyk

#7 Post by tonyk »

I'm also in the camp that says that orthodontics should be done by properly trained and qualified orthodontists.