Fully braced

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HelenC

Fully braced

#1 Post by HelenC »

Finally got top and bottom brackets and wires. Now the fun begins...I was doing so well with the upper set - achy teeth but nothing major, tongue was FINE, little problem with eating, no lisp. Then I picked up a load of extra teaching and it all went a bit wrong - didn't appreciate quite how much more sore my tongue would get with 10+ hours of speaking a day. Also realised (5 minutes into my first class) that just because your speech is fine normally doesn't mean it will be fine when you are projecting! I am used to it now but word of warning - do practice speaking at volume if you have any presentations etc...

Ortho warned me today when she put the lowers on that these will really shred my tongue - so have wax and little packets of salt at work/home/handbag. Lets see what happens! Can already see movement and gaps in top after two weeks - wishful thinking maybe...

Kalia

Re: Fully braced

#2 Post by Kalia »

Can already see movement and gaps in top after two weeks - wishful thinking maybe...
I think you can definitely get quite a bit of movement at the start of having the brace! In my experience I got the fastest/most dramatic movement in the first few months of having linguals, before it slowed down a lot.

But I hope your tongue has survived unscathed so far -- I also recommend picking up something like bonjela for any little sores & bumps that form on your tongue and gums.

Shelleyt

#3 Post by Shelleyt »

Jealous if you are seeing such quick movement... it's been two months for me and I don't have one bit of movement. Good luck!

Chrichri

#4 Post by Chrichri »

Kalia wrote:
Can already see movement and gaps in top after two weeks - wishful thinking maybe...
I think you can definitely get quite a bit of movement at the start of having the brace! In my experience I got the fastest/most dramatic movement in the first few months of having linguals, before it slowed down a lot.
Great news! I hope it is the same thing for classic braces !

HelenC

#5 Post by HelenC »

I am fairly sure that the more wonky your teeth the quicker the initial improvement - and mine have a long way to go!! I am waiting for the gap between my front incisor and canine to open up enough to allow my lateral incisor to pop back into alignment as it currently sticks out a lot...That gap has grown by 3mm in 2 weeks but still needs lots more space before the lateral incisor can be engaged. So Shelleyt if you haven't seen much movement yet you probably had pretty good teeth to begin with!! I can also feel movement more than see it - things feel totally different already but every time I ask people if my teeth are straight yet funnily enough they say no... :lol:

Kalia

#6 Post by Kalia »

HelenC wrote:I am fairly sure that the more wonky your teeth the quicker the initial improvement
Yes, I should have said this!

To give an idea of the kind of progress I had, this was my teeth on day 1 of linguals, and after 1 month:

But Helen, that's fantastic that you're having so much movement already. :)

Shelleyt

#7 Post by Shelleyt »

That's a good point, Helen. Mine didn't look too terrible before I started out and most of the things I need done are slower processes like making space and pulling teeth down/up. That being said, things are changing this month. My high canine is coming down slowly but surely, although crooked, and i have other signs things are changing. One of my front top two is longer than the other and my bottom front four have gotten more crooked despite always being straight- probably to make room for the two canines to come in. So not all aesthetically pleasing changes but signs of good things to come! I have an adjustment next Thursday so hopefully some more changes coming in the next couple weeks