First day

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HelenC

First day

#1 Post by HelenC »

Well...I feel a bit of a cheat really. Despite having 2.5 hours in the chair I only have brackets on upper arch. No wires and nothing on lower arch. A problem with the glue meant that the lower arch has had to be sent back and I had to endure having the glue on the lowers polished off before we started with the uppers. Glue still wasn't doing a great job as two brackets on the uppers fell off immediately so I won't get the wire fitted until those brackets are cleaned and everything is (hopefully) put on in a few weeks time.

A bit disappointing but want it done properly so probably worth a wait. At least it means I can get used to the brackets. So far, 24 hours later, speech is normal and eating ok. No sore tongue yet either but I guess I have all that horror to come when everything is on...

Shelleyt

Re: First day

#2 Post by Shelleyt »

I'm sorry- if I were in your position I would feel the same! No fun having brackets unless a wire is making your teeth more pretty. Hang in there. Strange that there was an issue on the lowers and that they were sent back. Did your ortho make it seem like that was common?

HelenC

#3 Post by HelenC »

When she rang the technical people they said it sometimes happens and to send them back. I think she was being super cautious but I think that is better than too gung-ho! At least its only going to be a few weeks. I am not really thinking about how long it will all take in total or when I will finally have lovely teeth so I am fairly calm about it all. Its taken me until a few months off 40 to get this far so I can't really be too impatient....

HelenC

#4 Post by HelenC »

Wires going on the top today - bit nervous...Totally used to the brackets after a few weeks so hoping there will not be too much difference - apart from the pain of moving teeth of course...

Wish me luck!

iob

#5 Post by iob »

Good luck! Except for the initial soreness from teeth being moved around, you might discover that it's more comfortable once there's a wire in. I always thought things felt smoother and more even with the wire in and the elastic ties providing a bit of a bumper effect. Whenever the wire was out, the brackets felt a bit pokey. I'm sure it won't be near the initial shock of having the upper brackets put on. Just make sure that the ends of the wire are trimmed up or bent away from your tongue. That's where you can get into big discomfort trouble!

Shelleyt

#6 Post by Shelleyt »

Hope it all went well. Now the real fun begins! Any word on your bottom brackets coming back from the lab?

I have my first adjustment tomorrow which will be exactly five weeks for top and bottom. Hoping to get my one most crooked tooth on the bottom finally bracketed and on the wire!

HelenC

#7 Post by HelenC »

Thanks iob - I do feel a little like I have a piece of cheese wire in my mouth but I am sure I will get used to it. The teeth soreness is bearable so far - and its like muscle ache from exercise - a good pain because you know there are benefits!

Shelleyt - I get the lower brackets on in 2 weeks time. Good luck with your adjustment - will be great to get them all wired in. I will have to wait a while for my lateral incisors to join the party as they stick out a lot and are very rotated - oh and there is nowhere for them to go right now...

HelenC

#8 Post by HelenC »

Well...managed to get through first 5 days without too much pain. no drugs needed and no wax or anything required. Bit of a lisp when tired but managed to get through 8 hours of teaching and a few students commented that they couldn't tell any difference...Almost able to chew normally too. Still...ortho reckons the lowers are going to be a real pain as I have such a small mouth/big tongue so that is something to look forward too. So far though - can't believe I didn't do this ages ago - although I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Have developed a great range of healthy food that is just a lot easier to eat with a mouthful of metal too!! And salt water rinses have become part of the routine.

@ShelleyT - how was your first adjustment??

Shelleyt

#9 Post by Shelleyt »

First adjustment wasn't too bad- she filed down the (really bad) bonding on my top canine. The two on my right side are both half impacted but the top one isn't nearly as bad as the bottom. However, the top is more visible and the bonding had grown out over time to look funny with the other teeth so I was happy to have it taken down some! The most painful part was having them break up the glue that was causing my 4 front teeth on top and bottom to stick together- she had to thread through the vey top of my gums and pull through hard. Quite a bit of blood but I'm hoping that they start moving quicker now that they aren't all glued up! No new wires but they repositioned them if that makes sense. The one bottom canine is still too rotated to get a bracket but hopefully next time. Going back in about 3.5 weeks.