Harmony upper/lower this fall! Anyone have any experience with itero scanner?

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Shelleyt

Harmony upper/lower this fall! Anyone have any experience with itero scanner?

#1 Post by Shelleyt »

I have decided to get upper/lower harmony lingual brackets placed to fix my mild crowding and some impacted canine issues. I have already had my consult and the itero scan and was wondering if anyone else has had one with their ortho.

My ortho advised the scan would take about 20 mins start to finish. I arrived for my appointment and there was only one tech still in the office. It started off fine but there was a lot of erratic beeping and things going on throughout and I felt like it was taking awhile. When she did my upper right teeth, it was some of the worst pain I have had. She was pushing it so hard into my upper gums that I now, 3 days later, have a very rough painful edge on my whole gum line. The whole thing took over an hour and 15 mins. When I saw the final product of the scan, it was nothing like I was envisioning. There were gaps and missing splotches everywhere. I had seen another patient having their scan done when I arrived and nothing was wrong with theirs. My understanding is that the scan is used to design the whole harmony system they use for my teeth. I called the office trying to get in touch with my ortho, but that was two days ago and I haven't had a response. This is an extremely expensive treatment, even for braces, and I would hate for things to go wrong or be delayed based on this one tech's mistakes using the scanner. Has anyone had the scan done instead of impressions? How did yours look? And would the ortho be looking at this before it is sent off and not let it go to the lab unless it was good enough? Would the lab reject it? So many questions- sorry- but this made me so nervous!

Jjjjj

Re: Harmony upper/lower this fall! Anyone have any experience with itero scanner?

#2 Post by Jjjjj »

Hi there! Happy to have found this thread, wondering how this worked out for you? I had my scan in September by an inexperienced tech. It did seem a bit splotchy to me but I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. It took about and hour and was kind of painful. It is now mid November, and I was recently notified that the Harmony tech requested another scan but no reason given why. So I have to go in soon for an additional scan and I'm not sure how long it will be til I get braces on since first seeing the ortho this Summer. Looks to be 2017 anyway. So I'd love to hear about your experience!

Shelleyt

Re: Harmony upper/lower this fall! Anyone have any experience with itero scanner?

#3 Post by Shelleyt »

Hey there! Congrats on getting ready to get your linguals!

So in the end I guess my scan was acceptable because harmony sent my brackets/wires. I'm 9 weeks in today! I have a story up on the "our braces story" page if you're interested while you wait!

Jjjjj

#4 Post by Jjjjj »

Awesome! Ill check it out, thanks for the reply :D

dorazabi10

#5 Post by dorazabi10 »

Shelleyt wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:24 am I have decided to get upper/lower harmony lingual brackets placed to fix my mild crowding and some impacted canine issues. I have already had my consult and the itero scan and was wondering if anyone else has had one with their ortho.

My ortho advised the scan would take about 20 mins start to finish. I arrived for my appointment and there was only one tech still in the office. It started off fine but there was a lot of erratic beeping and things going on throughout and I felt like it was taking awhile. When she did my upper right teeth, it was some of the worst pain I have had. She was pushing it so hard into my upper gums that I now, 3 days later, have a very rough painful edge on my whole gum line. The whole thing took over an hour and 15 mins. When I saw the final product of the scan, it was nothing like I was envisioning. There were gaps and missing splotches everywhere. I had seen another patient having their scan done when I arrived and nothing was wrong with theirs. My understanding is that the scan is used to design the whole harmony system they use for my teeth. I called the office trying to get in touch with my ortho, but that was two days ago and I haven't had a response. This is an extremely expensive treatment, even for braces, and I would hate for things to go wrong or be delayed based on this one tech's mistakes using the scanner. Has anyone had the scan done instead of impressions? How did yours look? And would the ortho be looking at this before it is sent off and not let it go to the lab unless it was good enough? Would the lab reject it? So many questions- sorry- but this made me so nervous!
Hi shelley, why did u chose to do harmony and not incognito? And what main defernce between them?

Shelleyt

#6 Post by Shelleyt »

I didn’t choose. Ortho only uses harmony and not incognito. I don’t think they are markedly different other than material (steel vs gold colored) and the “bracket pads” are somewhat different.