One month with lingual braces

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

crooked22

One month with lingual braces

#1 Post by crooked22 »

Just thought I'd write a quick post about my experience with lingual braces so far!

Some background info:

I'm 22 years old and have been bothered by my teeth for a number of years now, but I felt I'd missed the boat for regular braces, so to speak. I researched lingual braces and few years ago but it took me two consultations (two years apart) before I finally decided to go ahead. I was put off by the cost initially but the second orthodontist I saw allowed for payment in instalments, so I finally decided to go ahead.

I had my braces fitted a month ago now. The fitting was just a tad uncomfortable, but no pain. It felt very strange for the first few days while I got used to the braces.

I was more concerned with having a lisp than I was with any pain so of course, I haven't experienced much pain, but have had a terrible lisp.

Pain wise: a little bit achey for the first few days, and a few days of a sore tongue while I adjusted, but other than that the pain hasn't been too bad at all (which makes me worry they're not working).

Lisp wise on the other hand... for about three weeks I had a fairly noticeable lisp, other people said it didn't sound too bad, but to me it was awful! I eventually resigned myself to just having to accept a lisp for the duration of the treatment, and stopped thinking about how I sounded, but thankfully in the last week the lisp has dramatically improved! I only occasionally notice it now, on the odd word, and am far less conscious of speaking.

I'm now completely used to the braces, I don't notice them at all. I do carry a flossing kit and toothbrush/paste with me when I go out, just in case I eat anything which could get stuck in the braces. I've also become a lot stricter with my dental routine, as I want to keep the braces as clean as possible.

I haven't seen a visible difference in my teeth yet, but it's probably too early for that.

Anyway, so far so good!

flaav001

Re: One month with lingual braces

#2 Post by flaav001 »

Good to hear your experience :)

I'm 5 weeks in and can see small changes, which is exciting! How are you going with eating?

crooked22

#3 Post by crooked22 »

Oh I'm really jealous, I can't see any changes yet!

Anything crunchy is still really painful, and I've been eating a lot of pasta.

Any food recommendations?

flaav001

#4 Post by flaav001 »

Just really minor! I have been taking photos every day, so that helps!

Food wise I can share what I've been doing! I have either a smoothie or scrambled eggs for breakfast, then lunches I made a huge load of soup, but I'm a bit over soup now so I'm now taking leftovers! So for dinners I've been doing risottos, pasta bakes and also I can recommend grilled fish with mashed sweet potato and veg, but mash the veggies into the potato! Also I've been snacking on yoghurt!

JadeWA

#5 Post by JadeWA »

Thanks for sharing your experience Crooked22 :)

HollyHan

#6 Post by HollyHan »

Hey! I’m only 4 days in to my treatment with a lingual brace so currently on a diet of soup and smoothies and mash. The though of anymore soft food is making never want to eat again!!!! As your further into treatment.. have you been able to eat any chewy foods like meat or pizza or anything?

Shelleyt

#7 Post by Shelleyt »

Welcome Holly. There aren't many of us with lingual around here. I was totally back to normal food by week 2. Today I eat seriously anything including apples (cut up... not directly) and have had no issues. You'll get used to them in no time. I am a year and 4 months in and can't remember what it was like before linguals!

HollyHan

#8 Post by HollyHan »

Hi Shelley. Thanks so much for your reply! I’ve had them on nearly a month now and can eat most things! Feeling much more positive about life haha! You must be nearly at the end of your treatment.. so exciting! Xx