24 hours with lingual

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dkt3

24 hours with lingual

#1 Post by dkt3 »

I have had my upper linguals on for 24 hrs.... no real speech problems but man are these things weird. Sleeping last night was uncomfortable and all I can think about it the metal at the top of my mouth.
I have no wires on yet (teeth to be removed first) and im so thankful I dont need bottom braces, but in all honesty they feel awful and I dont know how I will deal with them for 18 months.
Can anyone tell me if you get used to them being there are forget over time and will I ever be able to eat normally again??

At the moment I am thinking I would just love to pack in the whole lot and get them off. I am hoping Im not alone in my experience!

canicula

Re: 24 hours with lingual

#2 Post by canicula »

dkt3 wrote:I have had my upper linguals on for 24 hrs.... no real speech problems but man are these things weird. Sleeping last night was uncomfortable and all I can think about it the metal at the top of my mouth.
Are you using a gum shield? I sleep with a mouldable sports one in for my linguals. Maybe when you get the wire you should discuss this with your ortho. If nothing else it'll protect your tongue at night from the sharp edges.
dkt3 wrote: but in all honesty they feel awful and I dont know how I will deal with them for 18 months.
Can anyone tell me if you get used to them being there are forget over time and will I ever be able to eat normally again??
It will get better. Your teeth will move and your bite will change to accommodate the brackets. So you will be able to eat again soon. Whilst they are in there you may not get to a stage where you completely forget about them all the time, but it will get better.
dkt3 wrote:At the moment I am thinking I would just love to pack in the whole lot and get them off. I am hoping Im not alone in my experience!
You are not alone. It will get better. I've had linguals on for about 4 months now. The improvement is amazing (to me anyway and that's what matters). So stick with it. You will likely see quick improvements. Take pictures so you can see what the starting situation was as well.

One other thing. Make sure you have some dental wax supply on hand just in case you need it to cover a sharp edge.

Ian

dkt3

#3 Post by dkt3 »

Thanks so much for that Ian! I really appreciate the experience of someone having gone through this. Its nice to know Im not alone.
Sleeping is the worst for me.... I got my tongue caught for the first time last night and the pain!!!!
Can you wear them without wax now? My job requires me to talk for about five hours a day and I am hoping I will be able to without wax. Does your tongue just get tougher??
My speech is actually really good. A few s problems here and there but nothing that people pick up on. I am quite surprised. My issue is just them being uncomfortable in my mouth and me noticing them ALL the time :(

crustybread

#4 Post by crustybread »

Your speech will only be affected by the amount of pain your tongue is enduring. Speaking accurately will hurt more after a couple of days and you'll have blisters/sores on your tongue but it'll go away after a week or two.

First day I had them I was eating steak, talking all night and drinking. The next day my tongue was bleeding and I couldn't eat for a couple days...

But it's okay after the initial pain. I was going to call to have them taken out after about 3 days but realised that was super lame and persevered - couldn't live with another type of brace now.

Persevere! Your body will adapt! The mouth is one of the most vascular parts of the body and it heals and changes very quickly. Alcohol eases the pain too, I've found.....

canicula

#5 Post by canicula »

dkt3 wrote:Sleeping is the worst for me.... I got my tongue caught for the first time last night and the pain!!!!
Get a gum shield.
dkt3 wrote:Can you wear them without wax now?
This is the first week I've needed wax. Up to now I've only had brackets on the incisors. At my last appointment about 10 days ago I got 2 new brackets on my canines and a new archwire. After about a week the end of the wire which was poking out a tiny bit between the right canine and first right premolar started cutting my cheek. My ortho had put adhesive over the end of the wire to blunt it, but it must have come off. So I now use wax between the right canine and first right premolar to cover the sharp end of the wire.
dkt3 wrote:My job requires me to talk for about five hours a day and I am hoping I will be able to without wax. Does your tongue just get tougher??
I'm an IT consultant and I'm talking to people in meetings and seminars all the time. You'll not notice the linguals after while when concentrating on other things.
dkt3 wrote:My speech is actually really good. A few s problems here and there but nothing that people pick up on.
Same here, and ch sounds as well. Sometimes it's worse than others. Worth it for the final outcome though...

Stick with it.

Ian

dkt3

#6 Post by dkt3 »

Well six days on my my mouth is feeling better. Not cutting my tongue so much and Ive actually learnt to eat!!
I have been told I am talking very clearly with only a few words here and there sounding a bit lispy. I have tried to get as much talking practice in as possible with friends and family so I can go back to work tomorrow and actually communicate! Tuesday will be my biggest test when I have to talk all day.....fingers crossed.

Thanks so much to those who replied! I appreciate the understanding of what Im going through and so glad there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Im actually looking forward to getting wires so this whole thing can be finished. Do the wires make it better or worse?? Im hoping I wont need to learn to speak again!

mb

#7 Post by mb »

How are you doing now?

I'm having my lingual braces in 10 days, I hope it is not too bad but I have to go to work the following day. Am I crazy to think I can do that?

Do you have lingual care or Ormco?

dkt3

#8 Post by dkt3 »

I am doing wonderfully! my linguals have been on for nearly two weeks and I am having no problems at all. I hardly notice them anymore. Eating is fine and talking is getting heaps better. I still have a little bit of a lisp on some words I havent said before but I have been talking at work for five days and no probs. No one noticed the difference in my speech which I am so happy about!!

The first few days really are not fun. I really though I had made a bad choice but with some time and practice talking I really am so glad I decided on linguals. They are even a great talking point for people I tell that I have braces to!

You should be ok at work. They didnt hurt as in pain, but they are new and uncomfortable. I was always brushing my tongue over them. I had a few little cuts, but rinsed my mouth with salty water about 5 or more times a day for the first week and I had no sores and no major cuts. My tongue just got tired and hurt. But now I can run my tongue over them all the time and it doesnt even hurt. I havent used wax for about four days at work and I have to talk for about 5 hours a day.

So all in all linguals are wonderful! and if you are willing to have a bit of discomfort at the beginning they are well worth it. I think any type of brace would be uncomfortable at first.

I really got through it all with support from family, my boyfriend and this board! so thanks to all those who helped me. Made me realise it would be only a temporary discomfort.

Goodl luck! Let me know how you are going! We can compare notes! Are you only getting upper linguals?

Ive just had two teeth removed and in a new sort of discomfort! My poor mouth doesnt know what hit it!!

dkt3

#9 Post by dkt3 »

Oh! I am not sure which ones I have. I think Ormco but they look a little different. Do all linguals have hooks on each bracket? All of mine do. I am not sure what that is for.

mb

#10 Post by mb »

In just 9 days I will have upper lingual and lower tooth couloured brackets. I also had 2 teeth removed last week.

I don´t know the difference between the different types of lingual braces but my ortho told me the one he uses (ORMCO) are the most commonly used. I also read about lingualcare in this forum, they seem to be smaller.

I hope to have similar experiences to you. For me it would be worth to have 2 weeks of disconfort with these type of braces, in my case I will have them for 21 months!

I´ll let you know how I get on.

canicula

#11 Post by canicula »

dkt3 wrote: I am not sure what that is for.
Probably to allow elastics etc. to be fitted to close gaps between teeth as the treatment progresses.

Ian

dkt3

#12 Post by dkt3 »

I just got my wires on today. No pain as of yet but the pressure is intense....wires now require me to learn how to speak yet again! not as bad as before though.

How are your two gaps mb? One of mine is still a bit swollen. I am not sure if that is normal??

Can anyone give me any idea when or if the pressure feeling will stop and when will pain start and stop?? Hope this makes sense!

mb

#13 Post by mb »

My gaps are great. It was a bit weird to eat at the beginning because they are "big" gaps and they were swollen. I would say if you had the extractions less that a week ago it is normal.

crustybread

#14 Post by crustybread »

My orthodontist made some covers for the gaps in my teeth, that are bonded to the next tooth along. He files them down a few mm each month to make room for the teeth to move back, so nobody sees the gaps.

As for the pain from wires, it will be bad for a few days, then go away and you'll feel where your teeth have moved. A while later another tooth may start to move and it will be tender for less than a day but this is totally bearable. Don't worry about it, the period immediately following an adjustment/wire replacement is worst and even that is a pain that won't floor you!

mb

#15 Post by mb »

Hi

I had my braces yesterday, at the moment only top lingual, in a few months I will get clear labial in my bottom teeth.

So far I am surprised how well I am getting used to them. I have no pain!

My work colleague told me I was very quiet today but when I talked he didn't notice anything different. I have to say it was a short conversation.

The worst is eating, I have an overbite which means I bite my braces with my lower teeth when I try to eat. Hopefully my upper teeth should move upwards and the gap that I have now should disappear. So at the moment soft diet.